Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New To Bowhunting: Need advice >

New To Bowhunting: Need advice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New To Bowhunting: Need advice

Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with NoMercy. I believe my next bow will likely be a Bowtech. But in all honesty I think the only thing we can do is give you our opinion. You have to actually try the bows and see what ones feel 'right' to you. And a 3 hour drive to a real archery shop could possibly be worth the trip.
You may even want to take a look a the Martin line of bows. Good bow, great prices and lifetime guarantees.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Mission makes a really nice bow as well. That's what I had been shooting up until a week ago, I bought a Quest Drive and that thing shoots like a dream. The Quest Rogue is also a very good smooth good shooting bow. For around $500 you could pick up the rogue all set up to hunt. No way to know what you would like though. Just go shoot a bunch of em' and then make your choice.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Spike

Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by dyjack
Hey guys!
I'm looking to pick up a compound bow to practice through the summer/winter and hopefully hunt with if I get drawn next year.

First of all, I'd love to get your opinions on bow measurements.
I'm 18, 6'1 and weigh 155lb. Everything I have read says around 28.5-29" draw length and about 55-60 weight. I plan to use it for elk and deer mostly, as I live in northern NM. What are your thoughts??

Second, I haven't shot a bow in quite a long time. I used to shoot light weight recurve and compound bows when I was younger. They were only #20-40 draw weight, if that.
So, would 60+ be too much for someone who hasn't touched a real bow in quite a while?

And lastly, what bow set up would you recommend?
My price range is around 900 dollars max for bow, sight, quiver.. ect.

A few packages I have been looking at are:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2014_PS...e_lite_bow.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2013_Be...mpound_bow.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2013_Bo...mpound_bow.htm

I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions.
thanks in advance, guys!
Go to your local pro shop and have them set you up. They can measure your proper draw length and let you draw some bows with different poundage. Id say at 155lbs, you will probably want to go with a bow that has the ability to adjust from 50-60lbs