Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Fletching contact >

Fletching contact

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching contact

Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Spike

Default Fletching contact

I've been hunting for 16 years, and never had an issue like this. I just got a 2006 diamond liberty, 66#, 29 in draw. I was getting fletching contact with my trophy taker drop away. So I switched to a qad ultra-rest hunter. After paper tune and going to several different shops. I'm still getting fletching contact, cock feather up, down, sideways it doesn't matter. Up is the least. The nock point is low, other wise I get a bad tear in the paper. This is my last option before I go back to my old Fred bear. Also is there another way to adjust for paper tune if I set the rest and nock point as directed ( level ) , HELP! I'm really frustrated with it and going broke, taking it to all these local shops trying to figure it out lol, thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Spike

Also the rest is timed correctly and the cord is set right, and when I pull back the rest is moving back like it is supposed to....just sayin
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Spike

I'm not familiar with your bow but if it is a dual cam bow it could be a cam timing issue.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Spike

No it's a single cam. Freedom cam or something like that on it, the idler wheel is straight also

Last edited by Gator8; 09-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Spike

what kinda vanes are you shooting?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Spike

Blazer, I also have a old set of arrows with the regular vanes, it also does the same... I've taken it to another place about an hour away for him to check it out, he said I might have a twisted limb, so he kept the bow and is going to let me know what's up when he figured it out. If not I'm huntin with Fred Bear again this year. I don't wanna sell this diamond if its messed up...... Bad juju and it wouldn't be right, but all in all I hope he can fix it, he seems to care more than the other 4 places I took it to.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Spike

Well that's a good deal, atleast someone might know what's going on with it. I've had clearance issues with blazers in the past, I've never heard of a twisted limb, wonder what would cause that, maybe improper long term storage.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have mine cock feather 90degrees pointed up for the same rest. Mine was out of time just a tad and was hitting the fletching..even though it was releasing...it was releasing a tad slower than it should have been...the bow mechanic shortened the cord on it and it works great now.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Spike

The timing was off on the bow... I guess the cam. I have a slight high tear on paper but he said I shouldn't worrie about it, he has the knock set 1/8 inch high for drag reasons but it's finally grouping so I'm not messing with it.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Even perfectly tuned on paper. Most arrow fletching will still have minimal contact with the rest from the flex of the arrow on release. If you were to slow motion video your release from the side you would see this flex. I have a QAD drop away as the rest fails away from the center of the shaft I still see contact on the inside of my hen feathers after enough shots black marks appear on the fletching. The fletching is striking the outside of my rest prongs even after completely dropped. Nocking point is the only other option if your rest is laying flat on riser platform after release. I have seen this in a lot of other bows people have brought me to tune. If accuracy is okay and arrow is flying straight not such a big deal in my opinion.