Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broad Head isue

Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Broad Head isue

So I started shooting my broad heads today in final preparation for the coming archery season. I noticed that the broad heads were not hitting where I aimed. I did notice that the arrows that had the broad heads more in line with the vanes seemed to be a little more accurate.
I then turned each broad head to be more in line with the vanes and noticed that my accuracy improved but not sure that was the correct thing to do....
What would you have done?

PS: I prefer feed back that deals with the issue at hand not saying to switch to mechanical broad heads... Not really a fan of mechanical so that is why I am not using them.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Im not an expert but when I shoot 3 blade fixed blade broadheads i always start with the blades lined up with the fletch and seem to have good results most of the time. But any way i had to turn them to achieve good arrow flight would be fine by me.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Spike

I noticed that you said you are using vanes with a fixed broad head. The guy at my local archery shop recommended that I use a regular fletching arrow for fixed blades because it helps to stabilize them more. I don't know if it will make a huge difference, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to burst anyone's bubble but broadhead alignment with the fletcing has nothing to do with arrow flight. Please read the first two stickys in this forum. If your bow is prpperly tuned your broadheads will hit the same POI as your fieldtips. Feathers will provide some improvement because they do impart more drag and quicker stabilization. Get your bow tuned up and you won't have any arrow flight issues.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Tuning is probably the issue but be sure to check and make sure your arrows are cut straight also. I had an arrow cut crooked so when I would screw in the broad head the head was cocked and the arrow always shot funny.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Spike

I will have to agree that proper tuning ( both the bow and shooting form ) will give you what you are looking for.

CK
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Not to burst anyone's bubble but broadhead alignment with the fletcing has nothing to do with arrow flight. Please read the first two stickys in this forum. If your bow is prpperly tuned your broadheads will hit the same POI as your fieldtips. Feathers will provide some improvement because they do impart more drag and quicker stabilization. Get your bow tuned up and you won't have any arrow flight issues.
I tryed fix blade heads out of my crossbow (satalite mag 125) and impact was at least 6 inches from field point impact at 20 yards. How much tuning can you change on a crossbow to fix this? No rest to move no nocking point to adjust and no shooting form to change as i was shooting off a bench but would like to shoot fb heads.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience some broadheads fly quite a bit different than field points...if you are using a certain type...sight your bow in on a broadhead target using practice tips of the same type you will be hunting with...For example muzzy has practice broadheads that fly like the real ones...don't sight you bow in with field points and expect the broadheads to be the same point of impact....

Tuning your bow first will help.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grinder I do not have any exp with xbows. But just pulling my knowledge from the good old days of recurve and long bows only, I believe the only cure for your flight trouble would be the spine of your bolts to a stiffer or weaker spine might help.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
In my experience some broadheads fly quite a bit different than field points...if you are using a certain type...sight your bow in on a broadhead target using practice tips of the same type you will be hunting with...For example muzzy has practice broadheads that fly like the real ones...don't sight you bow in with field points and expect the broadheads to be the same point of impact....

Tuning your bow first will help.
I used to be a loyal user of Muzzy broadheads. But these days there are much better ones out there. The 3 and 4 blade Muzzys (replaceable blades), even out of my perfectly tuned bows did not hit exactly with my field tips. The Muzzy Phanthoms do as do Magnus Stingers, Slick Tricks, Rage, and a few others. Every one of these, provided they are all the 100 gr variety shoot exactly the same point as my field tips out to 70 yds which is as far as I practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.