Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Maintenance on rubber tube that aligns peep >

Maintenance on rubber tube that aligns peep

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Maintenance on rubber tube that aligns peep

Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maintenance on rubber tube that aligns peep

I put a new rubber tube on my peep sight every year and this year it's already broke. I don't want that happening again when I'm hunting. Any thing I can lube that tube with to keep it from cracking and dry rotting. Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you're making the rubber too short. You only want enough tension on it to rotate the peep not stretch the rubber. But in all honesty this type of peep is old school. You can get a peep without an attached rubber and have it aligned at a bow shop by simply adding twists to the string. Or, you can have your D loop set so it is in position to align your peep when you are at full draw.
Another thing is that rubber can snap back and give a serious eye injury.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Been smacked in the face by too many peep tubes! Get rid of that thing and get a G5 Meta peep!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You can get a peep without an attached rubber and have it aligned at a bow shop by simply adding twists to the string. Or, you can have your D loop set so it is in position to align your peep when you are at full draw.
The second option here is generally the better of the two. Adding twists is a balancing act, and often doesn't get you exactly where you want to be, and naturally, adding or removing twists will change your string length, which can have other impacts.

But other than that, I never have thought that the rubber tube peeps were a good idea, never have used one. I'd rather use a horizontal style peep that will ALWAYS be aligned when drawn (worst thing you could run into is the string splitting your FOV, which doesn't block the view, just darkens/blurs it slightly).

Best option is to just get a peep that is properly installed and won't require any secondary alignment aid. (Note: for a $7 tool-or even a silver spoon-and some serving line, you can install your open peeps, without pressing the bow. Also note: new strings will usually need the peep reset after 50-100 pins, as the string stretches, the peep will turn slightly, so you need to correct it).
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't argue with any of you, I hate the peep tube. Got away from it for years but started back last year. I have to use a large peep because my right eye sight is really poor and have awful night vision due to an old eye injury. (no, it wasn't caused by a peep tube). If the peep gets turned at all I can't see especially in low light so I went to one of those peep aligner add on thingies with the tube. I'm thinking I need to change bow shops, the one I been using for years seems to be dragging on technology. Thinks for the replies, I'll go to another shop or two and see what's available.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have you considered a "string splitter" for your string? May be just what you need. do a search for it.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Spike

You can also start using higher end strings on your bow too that are pretty-stretched when they are made. I use first string usa and never had issues with the peep twisting from the first shot till I replace the string. I will stand by these strings they are awesome. Winners choice makes good strings too but I have always still had to readjust those. I recommend first string!!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Get rid of that thing and get a G5 Meta peep!
I agree, except I use a Fletcher peep.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

You might try treating the rubber with rubber conditioner at the end of each season. Works great for my hip boots. I believe the product I use is Lacrosse Rubber Boot Conditioner.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Spike

You an treat your rubber but do not get anything inside of the rubber where it attaches to the peep or else it will always slip off and you will just have to replace the rubber.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.