Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow rotation, is it important? >

Arrow rotation, is it important?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow rotation, is it important?

Old 08-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow rotation, is it important?

Nick , rumor has it that you are in the process of designing a nock to replace the supernock , that has the spin technology incorperated , any truth ? If so that nock with small fletching would seem to make a good combo , and keep foc close to "stock"
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 AM

Hi ijimmy
I am going to answer your question and probably get jumped on again for "pimping " my product.
well here goes.

First and I say this again and again , FOC is an issue with conventionally fletched arrows. It is a result of having to have an arrow balanced because where stability is needed most, Fletched arrows using only wind resistance do not do a good job.
The TURBO with its instant spin virtually eliminates any FOC, spine, or broadhead tuning issues. These benefits all come from using the principle of rifling.

The new T-4 is basically the TURBO NOCK with only extremely small vanes . It was designed not as a concern for FOC. but to allow archers who just do not want to use fall away rests or give up their vanes or feathers. The t-4 makes any arrow spin instantly and gives most of the benefits of the original turbo nock , If YOU FOLLOW THE TUNING TIPS!!!!!!
You will also be able to make your fletched arrows perform more efficiently because you will be able to shoot smaller vanes or feathers and get equal or better performance. This is why. If you shoot a muzzy broadhead or similar fixed blade broadhead you need about three 5 inch vanes to counteract the initial planing and make it spin and it requires tuning and messing with spine of shaft.
The T-4 on the same arrow will easily stabilize the muzzy with three 2 1/2 inch vanes and requires no tuning . The instant spin virtually eliminates any planing tendencies. That is a 50% size reduction in vane which will cause less wind drift and give higher speed ,flatter trajectory,etc.etc.
I have already tested arrows with the t-4 prototype and was able to stabilize target arrows with three small vanes that totaled 1/2 sq in.
The T-4 although we recommend fallaways , can be tuned to shoot through prong rests and bodoodle type rests, and also launchers.
It rotates the arrow approx 90degrees from the string to the riser and if you powder test you can rotate the vanes until they will rotate through a conventional rest. The T-4 can also be used on recurve , and long bows and shot off the shelf with fingers.
Sadly you have to fletch the arrow. which is the main reason I made the original TURBO NOCK ! "I HATE TO FLETCH ARROWS"

The biggest problem I forsee with the new T-4 is it gives the consumer more latitude to missuse it. YOU WILL HAVE TO FOLLOW SOME SET UP RULES, and disregard basically all you learned about tuning arrows.
This is really hard for some to do. The T-4 requires a right offset or helical of from 3 to 6 degrees, 4degrees will probably be the best.
If you shoot left fletching or straight fletching it will counteract the spin the T-4 gives and not work. I expect a lot of shooters not to pay attention to these rules and I will probably have a lot of complaints.
I am going to design a really informative handout sheet to hopefully steer new users in the right direction. The T-4 will give most of the benefits of the original TURBO , except fletching.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 AM

In most cases you get 3 inches flatter trajectory at 20 yds and 5 inches at 50 yds and 8 inches at 80 yds.
I think this would be a benefit.

If one hunts in desert mountains as we do; ranges less than 40 yds or bow speeds less than 300 fps are almost useless to us.

Where can one find these nocks for experiment: & what kind of price are we talking about????
Old 08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Nick that looks great , Im shoot'n 4 degrees of right offset now so Im in there , cant wait to try um . Thanks for the post
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

If one hunts in desert mountains as we do; ranges less than 40 yds or bow speeds less than 300 fps are almost useless to us.
There are those that would dispute that. There've been plenty of desert bighorn, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, etc taken with recurves and longbows. How close you can get depends on how good - or how lucky - a hunter you are. Not all of "us" see the need to shoot 40 yards or use 300 fps setups. So, take care how you use the word "us".

Okay?[&:]

Anyhow... This discussion is something I've had floating on the fringes of my thinking for some time now. Arrow speed and time of flight vs time and distance it takes an arrow to stabilize in flight. The faster the arrow, the shorter the flight time. Shorter the flight time, the less time the arrow has to stabilize.

So, it's easy to see definite benefits to having a high rate of spin to quickly stabilize a high speed arrow.

Given the inconsistencies in carbon arrows (spine and weight) and their often questionable straightness, I can see where a high spin rate might very well help equalize those inconsistencies and produce much better accuracy, from one arrow to the next, than you can get with standard fletching.

The benefits simply jump out at you. However, I don't think I can afford to use the things, considering the nock bustin'-fletch cuttin' knuckleheads I shoot 3D with.

That high rate of spin though, seems to me like it'd put at least 10X the amount of side load on a broadhead's blades on contact with the animal. At 4800 rpm, that arrow is still going to be trying to do around 2 complete revolutions as it's going through a deer's chest cavity. I can easily see the sideload bending or breaking blades. My question is, to reduce the sideload and keep the blades intact, would it not be prudent to use only smaller cut diameter broadheads with thick, heavy duty blades? Have there been any problems with large cut mechanicals, Nick? With their long, skinny blades, those would be my main concern.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:55 PM

There are those that would dispute that. There've been plenty of desert bighorn, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, etc taken with recurves and longbows. How close you can get depends on how good - or how lucky - a hunter you are. Not all of "us" see the need to shoot 40 yards or use 300 fps setups. So, take care how you use the word "us".
The word is we, me & my family; & we hunt throughout the year, Quail, Rabbit etc. & believe me, it is not hard to miscalculate the distance to a Quail enough to miss shooting 200 fps, & a low lung shot, on a Rabbit is not a common thing either.

Whatever is in season in any particular week of the year?

But I agree the larger the game the more easy, is the shot.

It is also true that I do not have the patience & perhaps the proficiency to stalk to the average 17 yd kill every week.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're taking 40 yard shots at rabbits and quail with a bow? [:-] Your eyes are definitely a heckuvalot better than mine.