HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow set up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/381169-arrow-set-up.html)

kpatte26 04-27-2013 04:59 PM

Arrow set up

So here is my dilemma...
I want to shoot a fixed blade head on my arrows for hunting season. I prefer to shoot a 125 grain head but while doing my research on which broad head it seems that Muzzy has the least amount of complaints. I want to be able to walk into any archery shop or chain store to get my broadheads versus ordering from online.
The question I have is should I go with a heavier weight arrow while moving down to a 100 grain arrow head? :confused2:

Bow: Fred Bear Truth 2 set at 58 pounds
Arrow: Beman Hunter ICS 400 grain @ 29 inches
Currently using 125 grain field point until I finally decide on a broad head

Wilcam47 04-27-2013 07:24 PM

what are you planning on shooting? I use 100gr muzzy and it kills deer just fine...you would have to re adjust your site since it would prob shoot a little higher with the 100gr. Just make sure the brand of arrow is within the range of your bow's draw weight. Usually the have a chart online.

kpatte26 04-28-2013 07:40 AM

For the time being I will be hunting deer. I prefer a heavy weight arrow versus a fast moving arrow.
I do plan on going out West for a Mule deer and Elk hunt so how much will I need to change my current set up for those two animals?

bronko22000 04-28-2013 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by kpatte26 (Post 4054010)
So here is my dilemma...
I want to shoot a fixed blade head on my arrows for hunting season. I prefer to shoot a 125 grain head but while doing my research on which broad head it seems that Muzzy has the least amount of complaints. The question I have is should I go with a heavier weight arrow while moving down to a 100 grain arrow head? :confused2:

Kpatte - The Muzzy is an OK head but there are better ones out there. I've used Muzzys for years and got deer with them. But no matter how well my bow was tuned I could never get them to hit the same POI as my field tips. They would always hit slightly right of my FTs. I am currently using Slick Trick Viper Tricks and with their steel ferrule are stronger than the Muzzy and fly perfectly. Also their blades are thicker than the Muzzy's. So all around they are a better BH both in flight and strength.
As for a heavier arrow if moving down to 100 gr head. No. You may have to do a little tweaking with your tuning and your sights but nothing major. And at the most you will only gain about 5 fps going from 125 to 100 gr.

kpatte26 04-28-2013 12:36 PM

bronko22000 I appreciate the input!
I am not concerned about the speed of my arrow but rather the weight! I prefer to have a heavy arrow and bullet versus an arrow or bullet that are traveling 3 times the speed of light!
What made you decide to switch from the Muzzy to the Slick Trick? How much difference were you noticing at yardages of 40 yards... Since you say the Muzzy was hitting right of the field tip?

bronko22000 04-29-2013 02:41 PM

OK friend here is the truth to your delima. Now I going to be doing some assuming here. Your arrows alone at 8.4 gr per inch plus fletching, nock and insert weight approximately 343 gr. With a 100 gr tip you have a 443 gr arrow and with a 125 gr tip arrow wt is 468. Now assuming your bow is shooting 275 fps (which is fast for the way you have it set up) with the 100 gr tip you will have 74.1 ftlb KE. Now you boost that up to the 125 gr tip (468 gr arrow) you will lose about 5 fps and your KE will be 76.3 ft lbs. So the difference is negligible both in speed and KE.
As for my Muzzys shooting right. All that was needed was a minor sight adjustment. But with the Slick Tricks - out of a tuned bow, no sight adjustment is necessary when switching from FTs to BHs. I do verify that prior to actual hunting of course.
My last comment is this - Its your money and if you want Muzzys so be it. I am just givng you my experience with what I've used. And I am sure you will find numerous members in here that will take the STs over Muzzys any day of the year.

Wilcam47 05-01-2013 08:22 AM

I switched to Muzzy because I moved from a state that allowed mechanical broadheads to a state that doesn't...

SwampCollie 05-08-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by kpatte26 (Post 4054086)
For the time being I will be hunting deer. I prefer a heavy weight arrow versus a fast moving arrow.
I do plan on going out West for a Mule deer and Elk hunt so how much will I need to change my current set up for those two animals?

You got it right in my opinion.

My advice would be... shoot what shoots best!

Field points are cheap bro... get some 100 grain field points and shoot them alongside some of your 125s. You will be able to tell if one flies better than the other... and certainly if one groups any better. That little bit of extra weight out front with an arrow as long as yours will affect the deflection just a bit... maybe just enough to make a difference.

If you can't tell a difference at all... go with a 100... just because they are more common. You won't notice a bit of difference on game... promise. If a 100 doesn't make it through... a 125 won't either.

Psylocide 05-09-2013 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by King Nelson (Post 4055933)
It is an awesome setup but I would recommend you the weigh of the arrow should be balanced that you have to feel it and that's comes in experience and then you aim the target and see how it is working.

Spambots are pretty helpful these days.