Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Site adjustment? >

Site adjustment?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Site adjustment?

Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, I still believe your bow is set up properly. All bows require some tweaking and sighting in by the actual user. You WILL have to adjust your sights to your shooting style (anchor point). I wouldn't go and blame the bow shop until you have someone else watch you shoot.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Jeff, I still believe your bow is set up properly. All bows require some tweaking and sighting in by the actual user. You WILL have to adjust your sights to your shooting style (anchor point). I wouldn't go and blame the bow shop until you have someone else watch you shoot.
That's it right there.

Having someone else site your bow in for you is like having a blindfolded person drive your car around while you give them directions over the phone.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Spike

Ok, I didn't know, I'm still a bit green under the ears if you get my meaning, thanks for the advice. I'll just have to tweak it myself.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
also do you have a rear peep sight? I cant see in the pic...you have a nice bow...sorry you got wronged by the dealer...I had my first bow set up wrong by a shop...it happens...
Thanks, I'm quite proud of my bow, in fact, its one of the nicest things I've ever owned in my intire life. I dont have a peep site on my bow, I have eye problems and I really cant see things that close, I have astigmatism in my shooting eye. I'm thinking of buying this, also since I will be able see it unlike a peep that to close to my eye....

http://www.archeryinnovations.com/pa...isanchorsight/

I cant really answer any of the other questions, other then I've lowerd my anchor point, I try to have the knuckle of my thumb right around where my jaw and ear-lobe meet, and I try to keep a very relaxed grip on the bow to avoid torque on the bow.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=jeffgothro;4051888]Thanks, I'm quite proud of my bow, in fact, its one of the nicest things I've ever owned in my intire life. I dont have a peep site on my bow, I have eye problems and I really cant see things that close, I have astigmatism in my shooting eye. I'm thinking of buying this, also since I will be able see it unlike a peep that to close to my eye....
quote]

A peep is basically nothing more than a hole in the string that you see through. (about the simpilist way to describe it) For hunting purposes you want one at least 1/4". What it does is ensures your eye, anchor is at the same spot every time. There are also peeps with clarifiers (lens) in them to give the shooter a clearer picture of the pins.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeffgothro
Thanks, I'm quite proud of my bow, in fact, its one of the nicest things I've ever owned in my intire life. I dont have a peep site on my bow, I have eye problems and I really cant see things that close, I have astigmatism in my shooting eye. I'm thinking of buying this, also since I will be able see it unlike a peep that to close to my eye....

I cant really answer any of the other questions, other then I've lowerd my anchor point, I try to have the knuckle of my thumb right around where my jaw and ear-lobe meet, and I try to keep a very relaxed grip on the bow to avoid torque on the bow.
I don't think a peep is really neccessary... you can get by just by keeping a consistent anchor and form.

Once your shooting is consistent and arrows are grouping well, adjust your sites and you're good to go.

If you're planning on hunting and can hit within +/- 4" of where you're aiming consistently, you're not going to have much of a problem taking game.

If you're planning on doing competitive shooting, 3D or target archery, then you obviously want to be closer to that X.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You still need to have it set right for YOU...peep or not.

[QUOTE=bronko22000;4051914]
quote]

A peep is basically nothing more than a hole in the string that you see through. (about the simpilist way to describe it) For hunting purposes you want one at least 1/4". What it does is ensures your eye, anchor is at the same spot every time. There are also peeps with clarifiers (lens) in them to give the shooter a clearer picture of the pins.
Its just to keep things consistent...I have astigmatism...and you don't really focus on the rear peep sight its just to keep things square/lined up.

Originally Posted by Psylocide
I don't think a peep is really neccessary... you can get by just by keeping a consistent anchor and form.

Once your shooting is consistent and arrows are grouping well, adjust your sites and you're good to go.

If you're planning on hunting and can hit within +/- 4" of where you're aiming consistently, you're not going to have much of a problem taking game.

If you're planning on doing competitive shooting, 3D or target archery, then you obviously want to be closer to that X.
I just prefer having a rear peep sight...
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

When I bought my PSE Rally I was having issues with my point of impact. Then I went back to shooting basics of a rifle for natural point of aim. I realized my peep site was set to high. The guy at the store set up my bow with out my specs. it took me two weeks to realize what was going on. like the other guys said don't adjust your point of aim. good luck
Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Spike

The guys are right final tuning and sighting in has to be done by you. I would try a peep it will help you anchor consistently. Try to get a double anchor for example string touching the side of your nose and your thumb behind your jaw bone or fletching touching the corner of your mouth. With these you know you are lined up the same shot after shot.

Last edited by badlandsgunner; 06-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.