Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Site adjustment? >

Site adjustment?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Site adjustment?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Site adjustment?

I'm very new to this, I've only shot my bow like 30 times total, so far this is my best group...I shot it at about 10 yards, or the length of a bus...I think my dealer might have adjusted my site incorrectly...I was shooting from a three pin site, using the middle pin, and I was aiming right inbetween the two circles to the right, as you can see, the arrows go up and to the left. in other words, I have to aim torwards the right and now it ooks like down slightly of the target, to get my groups close to the center, not sure if I'm shooting from the correct pin or if the sight is off.

Is there anything else I can do to stop these arrows from going past the back-stop (side note, these arrows stops sure are small, and I bought the BIG one)...anyway, wood does not work, I missed with one of my arrows and it ripped right through the neighbors fence...lord know what it stuck into on the other side. And the wood I am using (an old headboard) really seems to mess my arrows up everytime I get one stuck. Do I need to buy like 20 hay bales or something?

Thanks, Jeff
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/atta...1&d=1365125621
Attached Thumbnails Site adjustment?-p4040005.jpg  

Last edited by jeffgothro; 04-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

As for the left and right on your sight.... When you nock an arrow it should basically line up with the string and then as you look down the arrow the sight pins should align over top the arrow. That will put you on "paper".
As for up and down follow the arrows with the sight... If you hit high on the target move the sight pin up. This will then bring your arrow down.
Hope this helps!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Use your top pin and move your pins farther out (away from the bow). Remember you move your pins the same direction you are missing. If you're hitting high, raise your pins, if you're hitting left, move your pins left. Its easy. Now this is assuming your bow is properly tuned. My advise is to read the first two posts in this forum and also download the Easton tuning guide for additional help.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Spike

Don't know if my bow is properly tuned, it is the way it was when I bought it at the bow shop and was set it up and sold to me in its current configuration...obviously the shop didn't do a very good job since the bow doesn't shoot true or strait (from an athorized Mathews dealer I bought a Helim from no less - for 1,000.00$ bow you'ed think it would shoot strait when it left the shop) - and I dont even shoot that good. Anyway, I think I got it, just going to have to break out the allen wrenches and do some tweaking left and right I guess. I'm not going to move individual pins up and down, thats to much hassle, easyer just to ajust my aim up or down when I shoot and just use the pins as a reference point in regard to the target. Thanks fellas.

Last edited by jeffgothro; 04-14-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeffgothro
Don't know if my bow is properly tuned, it is the way it was when I bought it at the bow shop and was set it up and sold to me in its current configuration...obviously the shop didn't do a very good job since the bow doesn't shoot true or strait (from an athorized Mathews dealer I bought a Helim from no less - for 1,000.00$ bow you'ed think it would shoot strait when it left the shop) - and I dont even shoot that good. Anyway, I think I got it, just going to have to break out the allen wrenches and do some tweaking left and right I guess. I'm not going to move individual pins up and down, thats to much hassle, easyer just to ajust my aim up or down when I shoot and just use the pins as a reference point in regard to the target. Thanks fellas.
Get set up at 20yds, you are too close to the target...for three pins the top pin should be 20, the next 30, followed by 40yds...

How are you nocking your arrow?

I don't suggest adjusting your aim...sight the bow in properly and the pins will be on target... Like Gunny Hartman said on Full metal jacket Move your rifle around your head NOT your head around the rifle...

There are lots of questions need answering...are the arrows the proper length weight for your bow? do you notice fishtailing of your arrows? is your release adjustable and if it is, is it adjusted to you? Are you holding your bow correctly? You may need to have it paper tuned. Is your rest adjusted correctly? Is it a drop away rest?

Sandbags behind the backstop would stop the arrow...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

also do you have a rear peep sight? I cant see in the pic...you have a nice bow...sorry you got wronged by the dealer...I had my first bow set up wrong by a shop...it happens...
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

again - read the two STICKY threads "A quick bow set up" and "Don't stop at walkback". Also download the Easton's Tuning Guide.
Sight in your top pin at 20 yds then follow the directions on the above 3 readings.
It appears your bow is grouping fine. Your sights just need to be adjusted then the tuning tweaked just a bit. You also may have some shooting form issues that no one on here can validate.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeffgothro
Doesn't matter how much you spend on a bow, if you don't shoot very well, it'll never group well.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Doesn't matter how much you spend on a bow, if you don't shoot very well, it'll never group well.
Very true! Lots of people think they can just pick up a bow and expect it to shoot on targetmyself included when I bought my first bow but Ive learned a lot since then

can you guys see if theres a rear peep in the pic he posted? I cant tell..
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
Get set up at 20yds, you are too close to the target...for three pins the top pin should be 20, the next 30, followed by 40yds...

How are you nocking your arrow?

I don't suggest adjusting your aim...sight the bow in properly and the pins will be on target... Like Gunny Hartman said on Full metal jacket Move your rifle around your head NOT your head around the rifle...

There are lots of questions need answering...are the arrows the proper length weight for your bow? do you notice fishtailing of your arrows? is your release adjustable and if it is, is it adjusted to you? Are you holding your bow correctly? You may need to have it paper tuned. Is your rest adjusted correctly? Is it a drop away rest?

Sandbags behind the backstop would stop the arrow...
Originally Posted by Psylocide
If you see my photo, you can see, I can make a fairly decent group, even for a complete beginner...at least I'm happy with my grouping.

As far as what the other fella said, perhaps I will take my bow back to the shop and complain and tell him to set it up right according to the site I'm using, I feel I at least deserve that, especially for the money I spent.

If you goto my dealers website, this is a thing he boast on his web site (Level 4 NFAA Certified Instructor).

Ok, fine thats all good, why cant you set my bow up properly when I take it home, why are my arrows at least 6 inches from where I'm actually aming at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.