Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Pin vs. Dot sites (help please?) >

Pin vs. Dot sites (help please?)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pin vs. Dot sites (help please?)

Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Pin vs. Dot sites (help please?)

Well, as far as pin sites go, and some of the research I’ve done thusfar, I’m really liking the HHA OL-5219X, (.019 Fiber) (link provided). To be honest though, and being so new to the sport, I’m not really sure what I need?

So, I’ve seen a few of these fancy laser or “dot” sites, and well, I dont know anything about them, I really like what I see. Another thing I saw was, that most of these companys who make dot sites promise that the site can improve your anchor point and make you a more instinctive shooter, basically forcing you to shoot exactly the same way every shot, and being as new as I am, this might be a good thing and possibly a site I should invest in? The site I am looking at is the Pollington Pro 33mm Red Dot Site by Oneida (link provided).

Does anyone have experence with dot sites – I notice alot of hunters use pin sites – what are the pro’s and cons of each? And if the pin site is favored over dot sites, why?

http://www.hhasports.com/products/opt-lite.htm
http://cponeidaeagle.com/red-dot-sight

Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.
-Jeff
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like a small diameter, three pin, fiber optic sight. I believe mine is a Trophy Taker. I also prefer green pins over any other colors.

I once mounted a red dot type sight on a bow. Didn't like it. Was bulky and looked out of place. I also don't believe their claim that it will make a better shooter. The dot in these sights stays on target no matter where the shooter's head is located which is why the site states no peep necessary.

Being new to the sport, I wouldn't advise a single pin sight. You need a pin for each distance you intend to shoot. I set mine at 20, 30, and 40.

My best advice is to go to as many dealers as you can and check out numerous sights. Check out the bow/sight combinations of the people shooting at the range.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

I would go with the HHA since that is what i shoot! U sight in at 20 yds and then sight in again at 80 yds put a pre calculated tape on your dial and their u go good from 0-80yds just by the turn of a dial! I personally hate more than 1 pin...its more of a distraction for me!! Im sure u wont be disappointed
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWAWHITETAILS
I would go with the HHA since that is what i shoot! U sight in at 20 yds and then sight in again at 80 yds put a pre calculated tape on your dial and their u go good from 0-80yds just by the turn of a dial! I personally hate more than 1 pin...its more of a distraction for me!! Im sure u wont be disappointed
Ditto...I have an HHA sight as well...the fiber optic on it is excellent it basically works from 1/2 before to half hour after shooting light. Once I can see the dot light up I know its time to shoot...and once I cant see it very good I know its time to quit for the day..
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the pins. Less bulky and no mistakes.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I have never used a dot sight. I have 4 fiber optic pins and have never had a problem with them. I liked my very 1st one too (still have it somewhere) that has 3 brass pins. lol That was before fiber optics time. There are many new fangled fancy sights out there today. I am sure many of them are good. I would say for you to do a search and see what others have said about the one you are looking at.

Another note: I work in the hunting industry, and see many many bow hunters every season. I can't even recall seeing a hunter with a dot sight on their bow, unless it was a crossbow.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deerdust
Another note: I work in the hunting industry, and see many many bow hunters every season. I can't even recall seeing a hunter with a dot sight on their bow, unless it was a crossbow.
This Made me laugh! If your in the hunting industry Id then do some research on HHA!! None of there competition can compete!!

jeffgothro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAB6y4Ee3g

Last edited by IOWAWHITETAILS; 03-23-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=IOWAWHITETAILS;4045701]This Made me laugh! If your in the hunting industry Id then do some research on HHA!! None of there competition can compete!!

I am a hunting guide, camp manager. I don't provide hunters with gear to use. So, other than for my personal use, I can't see why this would concern me. What I use has worked for me for years. I'm not saying that it isn't a good sight, but what I have isn't broke.