Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Newbie needs shooting help >

Newbie needs shooting help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie needs shooting help

Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie needs shooting help

I just bought a Mathews Extreme Z7 bow and my deer target just came in. So, I decided that I was going to shoot the bow this weekend but I was very inconsistant and I broke 1-arrow and lost the other. Well, at least I didn't break or lose my new Carbon Express arrows. Some time when I shoot, I'm dead on center and other times the arrow sails over the deers back. What am I doing wrong? Not sure if my grip is too tight, not have my anchor point set correctly, back isn't straight or if I'm jerking when I pull the trigger on my release.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!! It could be a number of things and many people shoot many different ways. In my opinion you need to find what if comfortable and consistent for you. For an anchor point example the hand that I pull back with a place my thumb behind my neck for a solid anchor. Also, just relax, do not release the arrow until you are ready this can sometimes cause target panic in some situations. Also if you have a level on the site of your bow, use it! torquing your bow could cause inconsistence and frustration. Also do not shoot until your arms are numb. The more tired you get the more inconsistant you are going to shoot and just get frustrated. Shoot 5 or 6 times and take a rest. I hope some of this helps.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Get a box or bag target with dots on it. A deer target is great for shooting at later when the season approaches, but not for learning to shoot. Shooting at a dot will make you focus on that smaller area to hit. "Aim small, Miss small."
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Also move closer to the target until your getting the hang of things will help you not miss the target. But aiming at a small spot is still important, work on your arrow grouping.... It takes alot of practice.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Derag2
Also move closer to the target until your getting the hang of things will help you not miss the target. But aiming at a small spot is still important, work on your arrow grouping.... It takes alot of practice.
x2; you can shoot 10 yards and when you start hitting arrows, drop back five yards. Before long you'll be stacking arrows at 30 yards.

Good Luck. Feel free to PM me any time or call me.
My phone number is on my home page of my website link below. I've been doing this over 40 years.

Bob <><
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Newbie archer

Well anyone can buy a $900 bow. But any newbie can also not hit the broadside of a barn. And the bow companies don't sell the latter. It's a built in factor with inexperience.

As was said, it takes practice and calmness. And no buyer of an expensive bow, ever had to prove he had calmness. And anyone who doesn't want to really learn accuracy from the beginning, can turn an expensive bow into a piece of junk.

And life's journey isn't always easy.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anything you mentioned can be causing you problems. But what concerns me the most is your statement that 'at least you didn't break or lose your new Carbon Express arrows." You should be shooting all the same arrows (brand, spine, length, tip weight, etc.)
I suggest you go to the shop where you bought the bow if they have a range or go to another and ask them to help you out with your shooting form.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

I finally got my Fletching Jig in which was on back order. I got all the fletching done on my Carbon Express arrows and I've been shooting 10-shots every night. I've got my form down and I'm starting to get some tight groups. The only problem is the arrows are hitting about 5" to left of dead center. I moved the 20-yard pin a little to the left and I'm now starting to get closer to dead center but not where I want to be. Tonight I'm taking my bow to the local archery shop to get it tuned.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
I finally got my Fletching Jig in which was on back order. I got all the fletching done on my Carbon Express arrows and I've been shooting 10-shots every night. I've got my form down and I'm starting to get some tight groups. The only problem is the arrows are hitting about 5" to left of dead center. I moved the 20-yard pin a little to the left and I'm now starting to get closer to dead center but not where I want to be. Tonight I'm taking my bow to the local archery shop to get it tuned.
Hope they don't charge you for the tune-up.

If you are consistently hitting the same spot, and you moved the pin and you are now closer... why not adjust the pin so you're hitting dead center?

I don't see how a tune-up on a brand new bow is going to change that.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't buy a new bow, the Mathews Z7 Extreme that I bought is about a year old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.