Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Newbie needs shooting help >

Newbie needs shooting help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie needs shooting help

Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Spike

I agree with most of what everyone has to say and for the sake of peace in this article Ill just say what was told to me about setting your sight pins some 20 plus years ago and that is to make your adjustments in your first 10-15 arrows, after that arm fatigue starts to affect you and your aim. If you moving the sight in a specific direction brings you closer to where you want to be then common sense would tell ones self to continue (in small increments) to move your sight in the same direction until you are where you want to be (keeping in mind you arrow count). Make sure your sight screws are tight after every adjustment, nothing is harder to be consistent with than a bow with a loose sight. The golden rule applies Hit right move your sight right (and all other directions apply). Arrow weight and spine deflection and tip weight all affect your contact point also so make sure to shoot good arrows with the weight of tip you will be using in your broad heads.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

This evening I went to my local archery shop to get my bow tuned. And what I discovered is that the guy I bought the bow from didn't have the drop away arrow rest centered. It was too high and too far off to the right. So, tomorrow I will start sighting in my bow. And yes, I have been working on my shooting form and I do have patience when it comes to shooting. Just adjusting the sights wouldn't fixed the problem.

And to Valentine, yes I can hit the broadside of a barn and I do have the patience to learn accuracy and I HAVEN'T TURNED IN EXPENSIVE BOW INTO A PIECE OF JUNK!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
This evening I went to my local archery shop to get my bow tuned. And what I discovered is that the guy I bought the bow from didn't have the drop away arrow rest centered. It was too high and too far off to the right. So, tomorrow I will start sighting in my bow. And yes, I have been working on my shooting form and I do have patience when it comes to shooting. Just adjusting the sights wouldn't fixed the problem.

And to Valentine, yes I can hit the broadside of a barn and I do have the patience to learn accuracy and I HAVEN'T TURNED IN EXPENSIVE BOW INTO A PIECE OF JUNK!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!
Glad you found the problem, I thought this bow was new when I originally commented.

Anyway, good luck with your practice/hunting.