Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
bow maintenance / been sitting a long time >

bow maintenance / been sitting a long time

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow maintenance / been sitting a long time

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default bow maintenance / been sitting a long time

Hi everyone,
Its been a long time since I posted and even longer since I have been able to use my bow. I have a 2008 model Mathews Drenaline and it has been sitting in my attic for about the last 2 years. I am just now able to get back into it and have some concerns about the overall integrity of the bow since it has been sitting in a less than an ideal environment for the last couple years.

I'm ready to start shooting again but am wondering how concerned I should be with the string before drawing it. I have been doing some reading and am hearing that I should replace the string before even drawing, I am also hearing if I dont see any broken strands, wax it good and start shooting... I trust the advice here a lot more than the limited folks I have spoken with...

Any other suggestions, feedback or things I should consider? Thanks in advance for any input. Happy New year everyone.

here is a pic of my current set up... feedback? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails bow maintenance / been sitting a long time-img_1634.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Well, at least it was in a case!

Here in the NE our archery seasons can see temps from 70F down to 0F with rain, snow & sleet thrown in; I've had my bow in hand through all of it.

I do understand your concerns but would think if you waxed the string before storage & it still looks fresh you should be fine.

Your rubber bits-silencers,etc may be tired.

Modern bows are pretty tough stuff.

If truly in doubt, see what your local shop thinks.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

If your attic is not cooled, the summer temps in your attic were HOT!!!!! The high temp will break down your string. You will want to replace it. If your attic is "room temp", wax it and go use it.