Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Newbie getting conflicting info >

Newbie getting conflicting info

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie getting conflicting info

Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Newbie getting conflicting info

Hey guys Im just getting back into bow shooting and hunting after getting lazy and using a rifle for a few years. I dusted off my old hand me down bow and sold it to get a new one. I got a Bear Attack and was going by the old 5+ grains of assembled arrow per pound of draw. My arrows are coming out to about 392 grains and change. I stumbled on a chart that rattled me a bit when it said I need 420 grains at a min. I never worried about speed with my old bow because I prob could have thrown a spear faster and more accurately than it shot but the Attack shoots like a laser (to me at least. Do I need to ditch these arrows before the bow comes apart or should it be fine?

Thank you for any advice. I love shooting this thing and I don't want to ruin it or have to have an exploded limb removed from one of mine.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

5 grains per pound is minimum that bow companies warranty their bows for. That is also what the IBO rating is based off of. If you are shooting 70 pounds then you are fine with 392 grains. That is about what my arrows weigh coming out of my 70 pound Martin cougar.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

To get 5gr per inch on a 392 gr arrow, they have got to be long, what length are they? And what's your draw weight and draw length?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Spike

Thanks Montana. That eases my mind. I appreciate it.

Stapher- Draw weight is 70 lbs and length is 30 in. My arrows are 29 inches. They are 392 grains assembled with 100 gr head, nock inserts and fletching included. I like the furniture youve got on the rifle in your avatar.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Bayonet... Looks like you are shooting a setup with almost identical settings as mine. You will be fine shooting the arrows you have. Keep in mind that they will be fast but your bow will be a little louder than shooting a heavier arrow. I would venture to guess that you are shooting a gold tip, a non camo carbon express maxima, Easton flatline or some other 8.2 grain per inch arrow.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

It's 5.5 grs per inch, not pounds. So you are well over that @ (13.5gpi). I shoot 345grs Easton Flatline off of my Mathews Monster M6 which what my Mathews dealer recommended, since i wanted it set up that way.

Thanks, it a Bobby Hart stock.

Last edited by stapher1; 12-28-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

IBO rating is set off of 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight, not arrow inch. You can google IBO rating to see this if you want.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Bayonet...You can also check your bows owners manual. It will state that the company will not warranty bow if arrows are less than 5 grains per pound of bow draw weight. Hope this helps ease your mind.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

You will be safe Bayonet. But like HD said, the heavier the arrow the quietier the bow will be. I believe the 'rule of thumb' is about 1 FPS decrease with every 5gr increase in arrow weight. But don't quote me on this.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Spike

Sweet. Thanks all. Im really liking having to work for a kill rather than just put the cross hair on it and squeeze. It can be frustrating but it'll be worth it in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.