Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
want to start building my own arrows >

want to start building my own arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

want to start building my own arrows

Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default want to start building my own arrows

I'm fed up with my pro shop making mistakes and am going to start building my own arrows. I already fletch but have never cut/ installed inserts. I have a general idea but would like some step by step help:
What is the proper way to cut the arrows- I plan to buy an 8000rpm saw
After cut what is the right way to prep for the insert.
What is the proper way to glue the insert in and what is the best glue to use for carbon.
Please add anthing I've left out.

Thanks in advance.
WV
Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

After cutting the carbons down, you will have powder inside the shaft. Use acetone or isopropyl alcohol on a q tip to clean it out. As for glue, there are a lot of different ways that people on this site glue in their arrows. I use a good quality super glue. Others use epoxy as well as other adhesives available.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeah what HD said.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with HD as well; you can also spend a little time on Youtube; they have a lot of instructional videos there.

You'll love making your own arrows and stop throwing your money out the window.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use hot melt glue for the inserts. Makes them easy to remove and reuse if the arrow is ever damaged. Screw a point part way into the insert. While holding the point with a pair of pliers, heat it with a torch, rub it with the glue stick and jam it home. The excess glue that squirts out will peel off. Never cleaned the inside of the shaft. Not necessary IMO.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember, if you're going to be using broadheads, then you want to "spin" your arrow with your broadhead attached to see if there's any wobble before the glue dries. If you wait for the glue to dry with the epoxies or "hard setting" glues, you will not be able to take out the broadhead wobble. If you use one of the hot melt glues, you will be able to heat the tip slightly and turn your broadhead to eliminate the wobble.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Spike

I have them cut when I buy them, I use acetone and a .270 oil swab to clean them out and I use bohning insert iron to glue em in just how I glue mine.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

A 8000 rpm saw will be perfect for cutting to size. Be sure to make sure to clean out dust from end of arrow with acetone or alcohol. Also be sure to square up the cut end of arrow. G5 make a tool for doing this ,just lay the arrow and run arrow back and forth a couple times. If using hotmelt glue be sure not to get insert to hot or it could ruin arrow. Spin test them when done to make sure they are spinning with no wobble with broadhead on them. Good luck and have fun.