HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Question on Arrow Spine? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/373336-question-arrow-spine.html)

lonewolf5348 10-02-2012 10:37 AM

Question on Arrow Spine?

My Gran daughter is shooting a Martin single came bow at 50 peak at 27" draw,she using a 8.4 grain easton shaft with 2" blazer vanes.
I was over at the easton chart say at that set up she should be shooting a 500 at 7.1 grains.
I also see on the chart the 400 shaft is a cross over at 51 lbs mark .
I wonder is she should stay with the 8.4 grain at 28" or switch to the lighter 7.1 for a little more speed for deer hunting
will the 500 shaft be a little under-spine
yep she shoot a release
400 shaft fly 20 yard bare shaft like a dime :I wonder how the 500 will work>

Ronin802 10-02-2012 02:14 PM

is she shooting the ACC pro. if so its a 440 spine and should be pretty right on for spine. If her true draw is 27 inches her arrows could be cut a inch or 2 shorter than 28 if you are that worried about speed. Here in New England I wont have many shots over 40 yards so speed isn't a huge issue for me. my draw is 30 inches but my arrows are 29 inches. I have a drop away rest and the end of my arrow ( with out point or broadhead) is about an inch in front of my rest. that is a good way to get the shortest and safest arrow for your set up. Hope this hepls!!

bronko22000 10-02-2012 05:00 PM

Is the bow peaked out at 50# or is she shooting something less. I have a Martin Monster Buckhunter 35-50# and have it set up for my daughter-in-law at 35#. She is shooting 28" Gold Tip 35-55 arrows with excellent flight. (I shot these arrows with the bow peaked at 50# also with great flight.)

halfbakedi420 10-02-2012 05:09 PM

yer not really gonna gain that many fps..if 5fps. i agree, maybe cut em down a lil if ya HAVE to. if yer bull'in every shot inside 35 yards, she'll be ok.

wv4ever 10-07-2012 02:57 PM

The heavier shaft will carry more energy. Speed isn't always best. If it shoots good stick with it.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android

7MMXBOLT 10-16-2012 05:58 AM

More than likely she will not be making a shot at a deer more than 30 yrds out and more like 25 yrds and under. Shot placement is far more important than gaining a little speed at that distance. If she's shooting good with the set-up she is using now I would stick with it. Experiment with other options after the season is over....she'll kill a deer with it the way it is now, just keep her practicing every chance she gets. :)

ijimmy 10-17-2012 04:05 PM

If you have good flying arrows stick with them , allways better to have the stiffer spine when close to the limits , her arrows are already pretty lite , with low poundage and short draw a slightly heaver arrow is a benefit for hunting , it transfers energy better , a fixed deadly sharp 2 blade head is a suggestion also , and limmit shots to as close as possible