HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   sighting in (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/373243-sighting.html)

13pointjomc 09-30-2012 11:19 AM

sighting in

so i sighted my bow in today at 15 25 and 35 yards usin practice tips,when i use broadheads will they hit the same as the practice tips or will i have to re-sight the broadheads ? thanks

Krypt Keeper 10-01-2012 08:01 AM

depends really.. some broad heads fly different then tips.

I would actually practice with what you plan to shoot at game with and make any adjustments using them.

I have had good luck with reapers and slick tricks flying with my field tips but still make sure things are dialed in with the head of choice I am hunting with,

UncleNorby 10-01-2012 11:15 AM

Your best reference is probably the Easton guide. It is on this forum somewhere.

When I am setting up a bow, I first walk-back tune with field points, and then broadhead tune.

BGfisher 10-02-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by UncleNorby (Post 3985360)
Your best reference is probably the Easton guide. It is on this forum somewhere.

When I am setting up a bow, I first walk-back tune with field points, and then broadhead tune.

Definitely download a copy the theTuning Guide. If your bow is tuned properly you should not have to change your sight when changing to broadheads. This is where the tuning guide can help you make the proper adjustments to your bow.

You also need to make sure you can spin your arrows with braodheads on them and get no wobble. If there is wobble then the heads are not aligned well with the shaft and can cause arrows to veer off course during flight.

And YES, you should shoot the exact heads you intend to hunt with to ensure that they fly well and hit where you aim. You should also resharpen or change blades after doing so so that they are sharp for hunting.

I would say that if your arrows with broadheads are grouping well, but have only a slight difference in POI then I'd gang adjust the sight a bit. It depends partly on how well you understand tuning and how close your hunting season is, but next year don't wait so long. Do it a month before season.

halfbakedi420 10-02-2012 06:48 AM

sight in with the bh..practice with what you will be using in the field. practice tips are good so ya dont get kicked off a range.

rogerstv 10-05-2012 09:59 AM

You have to shoot the actual broadheads. Have to.

Rhody Hunter 10-06-2012 08:59 AM

If you have a well tuned bow and good heads you shouldn't . The broad head will enhance any slight tuning problem .
Shoot some broad heads to verify how they are shooting . If off make small adjustments and you can get the two to hit together

halfbakedi420 10-06-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter (Post 3987799)
If you have a well tuned bow and good heads you shouldn't . The broad head will enhance any slight tuning problem .
Shoot some broad heads to verify how they are shooting . If off make small adjustments and you can get the two to hit together

hahaha..not..no way ya get a bh to hit where the field points hit at 30 yards.

bronko22000 10-06-2012 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3987810)
hahaha..not..no way ya get a bh to hit where the field points hit at 30 yards.

Maybe not for you half..but for thousands of other shooters who know how to tune a bow. Sorry but you CAN get BH and FT to hit the same POI provided the BHs are true to begin with. Which is what you will have with most modern BHs. The older styles like the Snuffer and Zwickey you may have problems with.

Phil from Maine 10-07-2012 05:32 AM

I think it depends on a few factors.. For one what size broadheads are you shooting compared to fieldpoint wieghts? The wieght difference alone will make a hugh difference in your shots hitting the mark. Wide broadheads or narrow braodheads? Which are you shooting? They tend to fly a little different with the wider broadheads verses the more narrow ones. Are you shooting an older bow or a newer bow? Which brings in the question of alluminum arrows or graphite? My older bow would shoot a hole lot different between broadheads and fieldpoints while my newer bow shoots pretty much the same with either one. How ever I am using a lot lighter broadheads today than what I had done back then. Also my bow today is a lot smoother and faster than my older bow of yesterday. So more info is needed on whether it will make a difference or not. I also very much agree with the notion of practicing with your broadheads before the hunt.