Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Removing fletching >

Removing fletching

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Removing fletching

Old 09-12-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Removing fletching

I have Beman ICS arrows with the stock fletching. Do you just take a knife and scrape off the old fletching or what? I don' t want to damage the shaft. I know there is a tool made just for this but I wasn' t able to find one at two stores yesterday and I would like to get going on this. Thanks
Old 09-12-2003, 08:32 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Removing fletching

Just use a DULL knife to scrape the fletch and glue off. The tools they sell don' t work very well IMO.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:34 AM

I used the same thing as mez - actually did my 1st one last night. It was a breeze.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:56 AM

Both above are correct, just use a dull knife and scrape the fletching off. I actually hold the knife perpendicular and scrape the residue off that way seems to work pretty good on my Carbon express terminator selects. Make sure you wipe the shafts down good with some denatured alcohol when your done getting the fletching off.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you wiped an arrow with alcholol will it get a plastic residue of? What about nail polish remover? Will that damage the arrows if they are carbon?
Old 09-13-2003, 03:36 PM

I believe ascetone is the same as nail polish remover, anyway I use the ascetone on my arrows and find it to do an excellent job.
Polack
Old 09-13-2003, 09:09 PM

I use a dull knife to remove the fletching and as much of the glue as possible. Then I use acetone to remove what ever is remaining.

With alum' s I can ususally get most of the glue and fletching off with the dull knife, but with carbons I' m a little more cautious and rely on acetone to remove the remaining glue I cant get off with the dull knife.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:05 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Gametracker says not to allow acetone to touch their shafts.

One of those curved linoleum knives works great for removing vanes/feathers.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:34 PM

dull knife and alot of scraping
Old 09-17-2003, 08:07 PM

Has anybody used Brake cleaner on their arrows to remove glue residue? My cousin and I have and found that the new glue sticks a little better to a shaft cleaned with brake cleaner and wiped off with a rag. Just my$.02

Quick Reply: Removing fletching

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.