Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Question for you ladies or husbands/boyfriends >

Question for you ladies or husbands/boyfriends

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question for you ladies or husbands/boyfriends

Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Question for you ladies or husbands/boyfriends

My daughter-in-law really wants to get started in archery and wants to go turkey hunting with me. Trouble is she just can't quite get the bow drawn without some assistance. The bow I got for her (and for my grandson a bit later) is a Martin Buckhunter 35-50#. I have it set at the minimum which is also the minimum weight allowed in PA for turkey.
Now my question is: How did you ladies build up the strength to shoot your bows?
What I suggested was to get a surgical rubber strip and use that to build up her muscles. But any other advice will be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

girl pushups will work. If she can't do a normal one. I dont know the real name for them. We just call them that cause in high school phys ed thats what they would do. a normal one as you know is toes and hands. Instead of being on the ground with your toes, girls use there knees so they arent pushing up as much of there body weight. It helps your shoulders, chest, and back so she should benefit from it. another way to do a girl push up is lean against a wall and do it. find her max amount then do three sets a night. 1st set is starting from her max amount of reps, subtract 2-3 for the next set, and 2-3 for the last set. if she is sore the next day, tell her not to do them until she isn't, or has little fatigue so the muscles can repair.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

My wife just kept shooting, granted her bow was set so low she could do a full draw. She started at 27lbs and after shooting for a few weeks she is already up to 39lbs.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do have another bow that is lighter weight but the DL is too short for her. Maybe I can have her just shoot that one until she builds up some muscle. But I don't want her to develop bad form by shooting a bow that's too short for her.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I do have another bow that is lighter weight but the DL is too short for her. Maybe I can have her just shoot that one until she builds up some muscle. But I don't want her to develop bad form by shooting a bow that's too short for her.
Maybe not have her shoot it, but have her pull the bow to full draw 10-15 times a night for some strength training.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm an old geezer

But I've used five pound weights for decades to build back strength of any losses caused at times by injuries or illness. Cuts down on flabby arms too.
Since I'm at it, from time to time, I press my tongue onto the roof of my mouth. Cuts down on any flabby skin causing double chins.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Spike

try hoyt rukus she will never need another bow.it goes from 18 in to 28 inch draw 20lbs to 50lbs
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Spike

I'm having my gf practice with parallel resistance bands.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I'm new to bow hunting, I just purchased a Mathew Z7 Extreme with a 65lb draw weight. When I first got the bow I was having trouble pulling it back. Every other night I do push ups. I do 20, take a break then 12 and take a break and then do 9-more pushups. It has helped me tremendously, I have no problems pulling back my bow now.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

teach her to pull with back muscles..NOT ARMS
also, if she does a weight trick I taught.

Get a dumbell, a bench or coffee table. IF RIGHTY.....PUT HER LEFT palm on the bench, and HER LEFT leg from knee to ankle. Lock foot against end of bench.
Put dumbell equal to her shoulder on RIGHT side of bench.
Lift dumbell to RIGHT ARM PIT AREA.

If she does these for ONE WEEK ! SHE'll be able to draw 45 lbs soon.
go to YOUTUBE and type in " one arm dumbell rows"
and see how they work the back, and arm. Also helps front deltoid( shoulder)

Private message me how she did ! and does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.