Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Converting Multi-Pin Sight to Single Pin >

Converting Multi-Pin Sight to Single Pin

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Converting Multi-Pin Sight to Single Pin

Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Spike

Default Converting Multi-Pin Sight to Single Pin

Earlier this year, I purchased the IQ 4 Pin Bow sight. I really do like the Retina Lock feature during practice shooting and I do feel it has made me focus more on my alignment.

I hunt SE Minnesota, where most of my shots are within 30 yards, which quite honestly is where my comfort level in the past has stopped. I've really made some upgrades to my bow this year, with the addition of a full containment drop away in hopes to be comfortable out to 40 yards if the opportunity presented itself. I now feel that I am.

It seems like every article you read now about becoming a better shot and more successful in the field talks about going to a single pin. I've researched this online extensively and really like the concept for my application since I'm in the tree 99% of the time and don't feel like I'd need to make adjustments to the sight location due to the lack of long distance opportunities.

What I haven't seen a lot about is why not take your current multi-pin sight and convert it to a single pin zeroed in at 25 yards. I would think this would yield the same results as a single pin up to the 35 yards or so. Given, you can't adjust the sight if a longer shot did present itself like you could with a true single pin.

I'd rather not remove my expensive brand new sight (again, like the Retina Lock too) if I don't have to, but if there is a true benefit to the vertical single pin - at least I can justify another hunting expense! :thumbs_up

I had also considered using two pins - one zeroed at 25 yards or so and then the second at the distance my early 2000 Hoyt MT Sport loses accuracy at the first pin.

I just want to minimize any possible avoidable errors by using the wrong pin. I screw up enough on my own, I don't need to add another obstacle.

First time poster, long time reader - so I apologize if this has been covered before, just something I haven't come across. I greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you!!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Just move the three bottom ones all the way down and out of the way. Cover them with a piece of tape if you think you will focus on them and not the 1 that you will be using... they can be removed... and your manual should have the procedure for removal & replacement...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

mines down to one pin just from hunting. Wish I would've taken the rest off while they were good so I'd have spares. I do just fine with one.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Spike

I switched to a vertical single pin 2 years ago and will never go back. I sight it in for 20 yards. I hold over 6 inches at 30 and 4 inches low at 10 yard. I love it. I never worry about what pin to use. The pin is always centered in the sight ring and peep. Hold over is easy because the pin is veritical. Take a look at the Trophy Ridge Alpha 1. Good sight for a good price.

Last edited by JenningsCMX; 08-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.