Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 INTERESTING DRAWING ON VANE CLEARANCE >

INTERESTING DRAWING ON VANE CLEARANCE

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

INTERESTING DRAWING ON VANE CLEARANCE

Old 09-05-2003, 06:56 PM

Default INTERESTING DRAWING ON VANE CLEARANCE

Guys - I took a few minutes to measure my arrow with calipers - GoldTip XT 5575 and drew it to scale - the vanes and helical to scale......

The little dots represent 1/16" rest prongs.... The drawing does not even show the ' bases' of the vanes..... Just goes to show that clearance of your vanes is a measure of 1/100" maybe 2 if you have 3-4 degrees..... The longitudal drawing shows vanes at 2,3,4 degrees.....

Interesting food for though........ After looking at so many rests I decided to do these drawingd to get a technical look at what I am dealing with - makes ya wonder how any of us ever get a carbon arrow through the rest without contact !!!!

Old 09-05-2003, 07:04 PM

Default RE: INTERESTING DRAWING ON VANE CLEARANCE

Wow - 2 of my lines are not showing up on screen...... on the upper drawing - anyway, the colored lines represent the vane bases as they sit on the arrow.....

Hope someone enjoys looking at these - Id like to hear some thoughts. It does make a case for a drop away -

By the way... on my quest for an arrow rest........ I have heard from a few people about the value of guidance of a TUNED rest... especaially when you make have not so great nock travel, limb twist, cam lean, etc..... I temp. converted by flipper rest ( A GKF ) to a drop away with a quick at home modification to see if I liked it - I must admit... it was interesting. I was way too tired tonight to really get a result but will shoot a few dozen tomorrow and look at my group size to see what I think.....

Then its either a BoDoodle Pro, or some sort of drop away
Old 09-06-2003, 12:00 AM

For dropaways Checkout the trophytaker and also the cavalier avalanche, if your proshop does not carry them you csn get them on the web at Lancaster archery.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good illustration. That' s exactly why setting your nock point to give a slightly high tear in paper usually gives the best accuracy off a launcher rest. Or why group tuning generally gives you a slight high tear after you' re done. Lift the tail end of the arrow up off the prongs and you get better clearance. If you draw another illustration and drop the rest 1/4" below the shaft, you' ll see what I mean.

It' s just as much an illustration of why you don' t want a ' bullethole' off a launcher as it is an illustration that' s favoring a dropaway.

I think you' ll be pretty suprized by the groups you get off the modified flipper. I' ve shot release off a factory stock flipper and got just as good groups as with a launcher.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:01 PM

That' s the MAIN reason I went to a drop away. Remember, in those drawings the vanes are NOT moving. Watch a ultra slow motion video of an arrow being launched, and you can usually see the vanes flap like " chicken feathers" as one video put it.
Basically, by going to a high tear (NOT a bad idea...x2 if it works for you) you are making your launcher rest a semi drop away. the rest isn' t guiding your arrows anymore...hopefully you have just enough room to fit the vanes through. this MIGHT mean your broadheads hit lower than your FPs
Again, MY solution...drop away
Old 09-07-2003, 07:07 AM

Well guys I am WAY surprised at how well that ' homemade' fall away worked..... I will say that I am really interested in a fall away at present. Im going to shoot through paper today to see how it looks but man my bow shot well
Old 09-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Watch a ultra slow motion video of an arrow being launched, and you can usually see the vanes flap like " chicken feathers" as one video put it.
Good example of why I like feathers instead of vanes.