Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Predator IV  sight >

Predator IV sight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Predator IV sight

Old 09-06-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Predator IV sight

[]Well,I bought one of those Predator IV pendulum sites today.I have been shooting a KELLER for over 10 YEARS,,so I hope this sight can match up.I want to use a sight with a fiber optic pin, for better low light shooting.From the LENGTHY instructions that came with it,,I guess I can get it zeroed in []Unlike most pendulums, you don' t start on the ground.Right up the tree and find the " sweet spot" .

I' m going to try to get it,,or see if I can get it sighted in tomorrow.Any words of encouragement out there ????????,I know SOMEBODY must be useing this sight.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Predator IV sight

Well I did but gave up on it and got a Savage .....Sorry for not having any positive points but I just didnt like it......[:' (]
Old 09-07-2003, 02:53 PM

thesavage is the best on the market right nowand has been sence they came out
Old 09-07-2003, 04:50 PM

The Savage is a good one you say ???,,,So far I' m not too impressed with the Predator IV.I hung a stand at about 17.5' ,,I figured this a happy medium to start at.I put out the first Mckenzie at about 21 yards,which is the so called " sweet spot" according to the instructions.They say the glowing pin gard should fit right inside a 1/4" peep at full draw.I think draw length has an effect on this,because the glowing gard is just too large to be seen through my peep.I believe the whole peep site thing is only to help with a consistant anchor.I HOPE so anyway.
I' m not giving up on it yet.I will say it took about 10 shots to zero in my KELLER.And I do mean DEAD ON.So, that is why I believe if Bob Keller could do it almost 2 decades ago, then these " new kids on the block" should be able to keep up [:-]
I will keep you guys informed.MEANWHILE,,,any stories of GREAT ACCURACY achieved with the PREDATOR IV pendulum ???,PLEASE,,,come on[]
Old 09-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Predator IV, and must say, its not very good. Its a very big and bulky sight for one, and I found it very hard to adjust. I then put a Savage on and it worked great. Very sturdy and dependable and sighted in pretty easily.

I have since gone to fixed pin sights. I just don' t see the need for a pendulum with todays fast bows shooting carbons.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:23 PM

DropTine......I am NOT trying to dis courage you and I hope you get that puppy dialed in.........But IF and I mean If you get ummm bored with it give the Savage a try....It says sight it in at 20 but I sighted it in at 25 on the ground and its dead on at 30 in the tress at ANY height you care to shoot.....
Old 09-08-2003, 12:22 PM

I guess I' m going to be the only one who likes the Preditor site. First set the pin for your approximate bow speed. Then, you can do some preliminary sighting in from the ground which involves using the " sweet spot" on a target about 10-15 feet away to get beginning windage and elevation settings. Then go to your tree stand. I was within 6 inches of dead on with my first shot from the tree. I was quickly shooting well to over 30 yards which is more than enough for me.

One other note, I agree that the glow gard is difficult and have switched to the Timberline No Peep instead of a standard peep site which I would recommend over any peep site no matter which type of site you use.

My setup now works great and I' m more confident than ever from the tree stand. Also, I have the " dove-tail" mount preditor which I can quickly change back and forth with a second bracket set up with pins and and pin guard for ground shooting. My results are excellent when changing from one site bracket to the other.

There is a second set of ammended instructions that came with my site in addition to the standard ones. Let me know if anyone wants them and I will Email a scanned copy. They were a big help to me.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:31 PM

Hey, TOYTACO,,Thats some GREAT news man.There IS hope.The instructions said to " leave it in the middle" for bow speeds in the 260 fps.range.So,,being at 265, I left it alone.This whole " sweet spot" ,thing has me alittle confused.What do they mean " line up from 10 feet on the ground" , then from around 20 to 22 yards from your TREE stand,,,WHAT ???
I believe I have that second sheet of instructions your talking about,,,SO ,tomorrow I' m going to call the company,,just to hear it in " laymens terms" .I don' t know,,I' m sure the sight is capable of good accurcy,,but seems like a bit of BS to get there
Old 09-10-2003, 01:19 PM

The instructions seem a bit complicated but they' re really not to tough and the results are worth it. The instructions say you must follow the steps exactly or you will not be able to sight in. I believe that' s true.

Set a target on the ground and simply move back from it until the sweet spot aligns with the point you want to hit (you will obviously be aiming at a downward angle). Then take a shot. You can then begin to adjust for elevation first and then " side to side" . Side to side adjustment is a little tricky because you want the screw loose enough to turn but not so loose it slips up or down in the bracket. Just keep adjusting until you hit the point on the target you are aiming for.

The biggest trick is just changing your own distance relative to the target until the sweet spot aligns with the point of aim. Don' t change your distance after the first shot!

Once that is done move to your tree stand. Have someone move the target around for you until your point of aim and the sweet spot align, then let ' er fly (I hope you let your helper move first) . You should be close. Keep adjusting until you are right on.

There' s one last adjustment after this one that helps with extremly close targets but I did' nt really have to change it much.

I know this all seems to be a lot of trouble, but I really think this is why the Preditor seems to work so well for those who like it.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m having trouble understanding why the predator should be so different than most other pendulums to sight in. It seems to me that all pendulums work the same way, they swing freely and stay perpendicular to the ground when the angle of the bow changes.

Savage states sight in on the ground at 20 yards then you' re good to go from 10-30' up a tree out to " about" 30 yards, dictated by arrow fps. I' ve found this to be the case.

What makes the predator so different?

Quick Reply: Predator IV sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.