Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 is whisker biscuit a good choice >

is whisker biscuit a good choice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is whisker biscuit a good choice

Old 09-08-2003, 10:12 PM

Default RE: is whisker biscuit a good choice

The biscuit is supposed to be loose not tight. The aluminium biscuit is sized for up to a 22XX size arrow without being tight. You can pull the ring of the biscuit apart some to make it a bit bigger. I actually prefer using the aluminium biscuit with ICS carbons, I think it shoots better than the " correct" ICS sized biscuit. Good luck hunting!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:04 PM
bigcountry

When I tryed one, it slowed my arrows down by 20fps. With all the worry about fast bows, it kinda defeats the purpose of getting a decently fast bow. I like to shoot at least around 250fps.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:54 PM

Default The Whisker Biscuit Arrowrest

The whisker biscuit arrowrest is a great hunting rest. Of course you do have to use the correct spine arrows, and tune your bow, and adjust the rest and the nocking point properly in order to get the best results. If you use too light a spine arrow it will bend and flex as it flys through the rest, this will cause problems with speed and accuracy. The whisker biscuit works best with a loose arrow to biscuit fit. The biscuit should be parallel to the bowstring, not tipped forward or tipped backward. The arrow should be nocked at a 90degree angle to the bowstring with the bow at an even tiller. I usually back both limb bolt off from max three even turns each to establish an even tiller for tuning. You can always bump the weight up once you have established that the bow is shooting straight. You should grouptune for windage in order to get the narrowest group. On most right-handed bows the nock travel is forward and to the left about 1/8" so the windage adjustment of the rest will probably end up being about 1/8" left of center for the bow to shoot straight. If the arrow hits the target nock high the upper limb is doing more work than the lower limb, in order to correct the tiller you would tighten the lower limb bolt to achieve a level arrow in the target. If the arrow hits the target nock low the lower limb is doing more work than the upper limb, to correct the tiller you would tighten the upper limb bolt till you get a level arrow in the target. You can leave the arrow nocked at 90degrees to the bowstring. If you tune the bow in this way using the correct spine arrows, your broadheads and fieldpoints will fly fast and quiet, and will probably hit the same hole. Good luck hunting!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my primary bow, the Biscuit is grouping broadhead tipped arrows impressively out to 40 yards. I am shooting as well as I have with any other combination bow/rest that I have owned.

On one of my backup bows, I get very good broadhead flight with helical feathers, not as good with straight offset vanes. This remains after much tweaking and adjustment.

On another backup, the broadheads shoot well, but don' t group with my field points. That is not a major problem, but it would be nice. However, when I switched to a TM type rest, the bow shoots both together, with slightly better accuracy than the same bow with the Biscuit. (This bow has a Natural Series 15 degee offset grip, and it is hard for me to eliminate torque for some reason.)

My theory (and it is only that) is that the accuracy of the Biscuit depends on the amount of overdraw of the setup, which depends on the riser design. It also seems to vary depending on how torque-resistant the riser is. The Biscuit, and other total capture rests demand a very solid follow through for accuracy to be good. Of course, you are not going to shoot too well without a good follow through, even with a drop away.

All in all, it is an impressive hunting rest, especially if your form is great, and torque and follow through are not issues.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:24 PM

Hogwash! [:@]

There is no such thing as an accurate rest. Rests alone do not create accuracy. Rests are only one part of several things that must properly come together to enable accuracy.

A rest should not primarily dictate what size, number of vanes/fletch, and type (helical, offset, straight, etc.) your shafts require.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for all your wisdom!!!

Maybe they meant that the whisker biscuit is a forgiving rest?[]

A rest should not primarily dictate what size, number of vanes/fletch, and type (helical, offset, straight, etc.) your shafts require.

[8D]Really??? Well golly! The two prong shoot thru rests have been " dictating fletching setups" for years!

Old 09-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I tryed one, it slowed my arrows down by 20fps. With all the worry about fast bows, it kinda defeats the purpose of getting a decently fast bow. I like to shoot at least around 250fps.
With all due respect , if you lost 20fps you have some tuning and/or spine issues! I' ve setup countless whisker biscuits in the last 3 years with a maximum speed loss of 5fps and that was with 5" vanes. The normal speed loss is around 2-3 fps.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:14 AM

The way the WB gets " accuracy" is the MAKE the arrow start spinning faster sooner. This is why it can be " easy to tune" with broadheads...but with field points (which don' t need as much spin for accuracy) the benefit can be lost by the fact that the rest contacts the arrow for a VERY long time. This is where drop away rests shine.
When shooting a WB, make sure your using some offset or helical to your vanes...with straight vanes, you will gain no benefit with the WB...and may well loose accuracy.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:46 AM

They are very good rests and my accuracy is excellent with it all the way to 70 yrds. I completely suprised some folks this week by shooting 4-5" groups at 70 yrds with several arrows touching!!
Speed loss is minimal 2- 5 fps ! 5 fps isn' t enough to even worry about IMO!!
Fletching wear can be an issue ......but a quality fletch with a dab of extra glue on the front of each fletching will perform very well. A straight or offset fletch will hold up better and lose less speed than a full helical through the WB .
I just got back from a hunting trip and 6 out of 7 hunters there were shooting WB and one of the 6 is a guy that has killed 600 plus animals with a bow . And has taken many/many animals in Africa and elsewhere at ranges of 60-85 yrds !! I' ll take his word on eqipment any day !!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:35 PM

Bowfanatic:

You' re welcome for the wisdom granted. Obviously it (wisdom) is sometimes needed.

As long as the sport of bowhunting has been around, and as it will always be as long as the sport of bowhunting survives, there will always be the boys and girls with their brand-new toys that will join hands and gleefully and giggly dance around the campfire while irrationally chanting words of glorification and making exaggerated claims. That is ok. Because unbridled excitement and spinning yarns, especially in the growing stages, is part of the sport.

However, also for the sake of the sport and the uninformed that seriously desire to know the real and unexaggerated facts, I hope there will always be someone to step forward to help tone the party down and point out what is real from what is exaggerated and what is just plain BS.

As for the two-prong rest, or any other rest, having PRIMARILY dictated shaft and/or bow setup for years; you could not be more wrong in the sense that you obviously intend your statement to be taken. Have there been shooters that have inappropriately allowed a rest to primarily dictate how a shaft or bow will be setup? I am sure there have been… and it is obviously still occurring.

CBM SC:

600 hundred kills. Hmmm1 I am not sure, but that number might surpass or rival what Fred Bear did in 50 years with the sport. Maybe the record of Fred Bear and Howard Hill combined. For curiosity only, I' ll have to look that up.

Quick Reply: is whisker biscuit a good choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.