Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which arrow would you hunt with and why? >

Which arrow would you hunt with and why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which arrow would you hunt with and why?

Old 09-27-2003, 09:07 PM

Default RE: Which arrow would you hunt with and why?

I would go with which ever ones perform better when shooting broadheads out to your max hunting range. If they both shoot equally well, I would go with your gut instinct. The bemans are a little heavier but not enough to make much of a difference.

Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2003, 09:42 PM

Carbon Express. Im a little prejudice because they are what I shoot and I know they perform extremely well.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The pro shop guy steered you right on going to 340' s instead of 400' s. I found out the hard way about being on the top end of a carbon shaft' s spine limit. Couldn' t hit diddly with them, even with field points. Trying to shoot broadheads on the 340' s was discouraging enough, but on the 400' s it was a total disaster.

If the 3D Selects are as good as the Terminator Selects I' ve been messing with for the past week, then the choice is a no-brainer. Use them!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:03 PM

Art:

The " carbon cult" has brainwashed you. You are on a rapid decline. Stand ready; I am putting together a " snatch and haul ass" team. We are coming for you. We will have a deprogrammer aboard to start the process (mind cleansing) immediately.

PS: Send me those 2315' s immediately. During your withdrawal period you might purposely damage those shafts out of misdirected hostility.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ROTFL! I caught almost as much flack when I started experimenting with aluminum arrows, nigh on 30 years ago. Aluminum proved out good enough to pull me away from wood. Will carbon be good enough to pull me away from aluminum?

Old 09-29-2003, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' d have to say that after using both the carbons and aluminums on fixed broadheads, I' ll stick with aluminums. If I ever decide to go with a mechanical, I may reconsider. But only with a carbon that is as heavy as my aluminums.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:00 PM
AK

In the simplest of terms, " pointy" objects penetrate soft materials better than " blunt" objects. (Lord, we' re about to go Crayola here.)

Just for comparision: Imagine hitting...say a cow...with three different weapons using the same force. First, imagine using a large rock (ie; a 12g slug). You' ll bruise it, but do little else. Now imagine hitting it with the pointy end of a cold chisel (ie; your chisel point head). You might be able to jam the thing through it' s flesh just a little. Finally, imagine plunging a sword into it (ie; a cut-on-contact head). You' d get a good bit of penetration with the sword, right?

Of course, (all other things remaining equal) if you increase the velocity, penetration increases overall. At some point, velocity will be high enough to allow even blunt objects (such as slugs and bullets, cannonballs, and even rocks) to penetrate.

On a graduated scale, cut on contact heads are simply more " pointy" than cone heads...providing increased cutting ability and offering less physical resistance. Sooooo, they penetrate better.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:19 PM

I would go with the 394grain because even that is a little much considering you should be shooting an arrow anwhere from 340-360 grains...I calculate it like this, never less than 5grains per pound, which 5grains for you @ 68lbs would be 340grains...But by going with a little bit more grain you loose speed but pick up more kenetic energy which gives you more hitting power...But if its possible to come down i would bring it down to at least 360 with 4inch vains to stabilize the arrow out a little more for flight with a broadhead...But if those are your only 2 choices then go with the 394grains.. you can also go to a 90 broadhead and cut it down to 384 which would be a little bit better.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn' t consider going even lighter than 394 grains to be ' better' by any stretch of the imagination. Even if you drop 30 grains of arrow weight, you' re only looking at some 5 fps of arrow speed, with absolutely NO effect on pin settings or trajectory. But you' d be looking at the potential cost of worse arrow flight due to screwing up your FOC; probably a good bit of retuning to get arrow flight back; a loss, however minimal, in KE and momentum (you' re running light on momentum already!).

Old 10-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would go with the Bemans for one simple reason...durability. I was shooting Carbon Express for several years and though I found them acceptable in just about every category, I had way too many that split at the nock end if they hit anything of a hard substance. Granted, I could install the whole ACC bushing setup but then again I could do that with the Bemans too. I switched to the Bemans this past year and I have yet to have a single one crack at the nock end. Bemans use some form of adhesive layer between the carbon layers to help improve the durability of the arrow. A " no brainer" as someone put it.....

....but I would ditch the feathers and put vanes on them....

Quick Reply: Which arrow would you hunt with and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.