Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How often to you wax your bow string? >

How often to you wax your bow string?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How often to you wax your bow string?

Old 09-02-2003, 12:07 PM

Default How often to you wax your bow string?

How often do you wax your bow string? Can you wax it to much? A little info would help a bunch. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often to you wax your bow string?

If i do a lot of shooting i try and wax mine a little after every shooting session. If i don' t shoot that much then about every 2/3 times i shoot. I keep a watch on my string and i can usually tell when i need to wax it. I don' t really know if you can wax one to much or not.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:26 PM

hello i wax my string whenever i feel the string and it dont feel wax on your fingers.
and every time i shoot
Old 09-02-2003, 06:29 PM

You can' t wax it too much......I wax mine before each shoot......Before I learned the importance of keeping my string waxed, it would get dry and start making a noise when drawing.......I waxed the string and it quietend down....Dry strings means the fibers are wearing..........
Old 09-02-2003, 08:11 PM

everytime i shoot period.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually you would be surprised to find out that professinal string builders DON' T reccomend waxing a string very often,if at all.As a matter of fact,the majority will remove a certain amount of wax before buildind a string.

So the answer is a resounding,YES,a string can be waxed too much.You can wax the cables more than the string but a string needs very little waxing and too much can actually affect accuracy.The main reason most wax a string is so it doesn' t start to fray,but the fraying doesn' t hurt the string.I wax my string VERY LIGHTLY about 2 times a year so the occasional rain showers in a 3-d tournament doesn' t soak into the string.My string builder frowns on me doing it this much but I can' t help myself.And no,he doesn' t frown because he want to sell me a new string once a year.He said I could leave it alone for about 3 years before I need to replace it.That is with a lot of shooting.

This should get a response,as it goes totally against the grain of what the vast majority believe.[:-]
Old 09-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you TFOX! I only wax my string about twice a year....once before I start shooting in the spring and once right before season(only to keep moisture from soaking it).
Old 09-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, I do occasionally wax the cable and string were they go through the cable slide, but even that is only a few times a year.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:46 PM

I wax mine a couple times a year and then very sparingly. I think that the wax could causes some drag and can slow down the speed.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:06 PM

How do I care for my Winner’s Choice string?

A- Proper care of our product is very easy, but paramount in getting the most from your string. We recommend waxing your string frequently with Dalton 2000 high silicone wax ( used by us at the factory) or ML-6 string wax (available through Winner’s Choice as well as many archery retailers) or other synthetic based wax (bees wax is not recommended) to prevent fuzzing of the material. Pay particular attention to any area that is contacted by string silencers, or any other outside object that causes fuzzing. Also watch for broken strands, and any thing that could cause strand breakage. Remember bowstrings are fragile, and are easily damaged by many factors.
Since IMO they are the best string makers in the World

I will do as they say I wax often

Quick Reply: How often to you wax your bow string?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.