Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning questing..nock height >

Tuning questing..nock height

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning questing..nock height

Old 09-01-2003, 09:47 PM

Default Tuning questing..nock height

Helping a buddy set up a Bear TRX to hunt with today. It' s a single cam bow. He' s shooting a whisker bisquit for a rest, set even with the hole in the riser for height. Center shot is set dead ahead. He is shooting with a string loop and a release.

We paper tuned and tuned the broadhead groups to hit with the field points. Over and over again we ended up with a nock point BELOW square by about 1/8" . In several bow books I have they say to NEVER go below square for a nock point, yet most of these books don' t cover single cams.

The bow groups excellent and the arrows fly true. We' re just worried there is something wrong or out of time.

Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tuning questing..nock height

I have had to do this for some when the arrow is slightly stiff on spine.

If the bow is shooting good,no paper tear,no grouping problems.I wouldn' t worry about it.

How are you checking the nock heigth,with a bow sqare or eyeball,sometimes they look below when they are not.I rarely use a bow square to set nock anymore.I will eyeball and then put the bow on my bow vise that I bought/modified and check everything with a level.Works absolutely great and reccomend a vise for anyone that tinkers with bows more than the average person.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:43 PM

I' ve checked it every way under the sun. A bow square works lousy with a WB, by the way.[&:]

I' ll just leave it. His arrows are on the cusp between 340 and 400 Bemans so that may be the cause.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 AM

I have heard that the buzz buster on those bows (if it has one) - can cause problems such as you have.

Just a thought
Old 09-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2003, 04:11 PM

A measely 1/2 turn of tiller adjustment cured the problem and the bow still hits right where I want it to. I was PM' d this solution and it worked out great.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:37 PM

I have also heard to never go below square. The arrow may seem to fly ok, but may not be the most efficient use of energy. The manufacturer may be able to give you a good idea of where to start. Then paper tune from there. Just a thought.