Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help!

Ok, if you followed this thread you will see where I am

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tech...ad-flight.html

I purchased the 450's and had them cut to 29". I have just spent the last 2 hours trying paper, bareshaft and just jumping to broad head tuning. paper gets a left tear no matter how far I move the rest to the right. Bare shaft the same and when I try and just broad head tune at 20 when I make adjustments they move together keeping the same distance apart. I found a great thread on AT and it basically said that when that happends it is a spine issue?!?!?!?!? Sooo...I lowered the poundage back 4 turns and still, the same results!!!!

I do not have a clue on what to do next.....I think I am just going to take it back to the shop I got it and not leave until I can get this fixed.... Any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

First thing I would do is adjust your rest to centershot. Eyeball it if you have to. Next, forget paper tuning. Then depending on your available distance start shooting using your 20 yd pin. Aim the same spot and shoot an arrow at 10, 20, 30, and 40 if you have the distance. (or even shoot in 5 yd increments) Dis regard what you think are bad shots. Make sure your arrows fall in a vertical line. Adjust rest accordingly. Then you can BH tune your bow. Chase your BH with your FTs. (if BH shoots left of FT, move your rest to the left in 1/32" increments). If done correctly your arrows should shoot both BHs and FTs to the same POI out to beyond your comfort range.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronk,

With my 350's I did walk back with FP, than BH would never hit the same POI. My issue is no matter how I move my rest, the FP an BH keep the same distance apart but change their POI in relation to what I am aiming at. I cannot get them to get closer than 4" at 20 yards?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a chance that you have some fletch contact with the rest or cables?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am 100% about have zero fletch contact.

It was suggested that it could be a torque issue, but if it is than how is it that I can group my BH fairly well out to 60?

Also, I decided to measure specs for the bow. Online says 7" brace and 32" axle. The brace comes in correct, but when I try and measure axle I can only get 31.5".....Is that .5" going to make the difference, and if so how do I fix it?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

what rest do you have?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

QAD Pro on the bow.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

JN, When you did the walk back did you use only field tips? Do you have a different rest to try? The reason I am asking is the I was having a problem tuning one of my bows(a Martin Firecat). I had a Ripcord rest (very similar to the Quad Pro). I switched out to a NAP Apache rest and the problem went away. What was happening is that I was getting erratic arrow flight no matter how I adjusted the rest. I can only assume that the Ripcord wasn't dropping out of the way fast enough for my arrow to clear.

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-30-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Spike

Do you have a different rest to try?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friday I had about 4 hours to kill and decided to start from scratch and take what someone suggested I take into consideration. I was ready to take the bow to the shop, but instead decided to just fiddle with it some more.

After failing to paper and bareshaft tune I decided to just attemp to walk back tune and go from there. I got a decent straight line out to 40 with my FP and decided to see what the BH would do at 20. Suppringsly it was actually much closer than what I was getting before. When I tried to make adjustments to the rest (we are talking 1/64 or 1/32) I was getting no real results and they both moved together keeping the same gap between the POI. At this time I decided to see if my grip on the bow was the hole reason for this issue (it was suggested that I was torqueing the bow even though I had really good groups when I set my rest to FP or BH). I usually have a more open type grip leaving my fingers off the front of the bow and changed to a more aggressive type grip bringing my fingers around and holding the bow. Mind you I never really felt the bow jump in my hand with an open grip so I figured this would have little to no results.

At 20 yards my BH and FP hit almost the same spot. I was blown away, I never figured holding the bow tighter would give me this result. I tinkered with it the rest of the day and this morning for another hour or so and this was the result.

This was not a true robin as the group was about 1" to the left of what I was aiming at, but the two arrows could not have been more exact in placement. I was happy to see it, but sad in that it was a $10 mistake!

BH and FP are grouping nice out to 30 (all I can shoot at my house) and when I shoot some this weekend I am hoping for good results out past that.

Thanks for everyone input, great learning curve for as I really never thought my grip needed to be more aggresive on the bow to get the results I wanted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.