Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 broadhead arrow flight tuning question >

broadhead arrow flight tuning question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead arrow flight tuning question

Old 08-26-2003, 05:13 PM

Default RE: broadhead arrow flight tuning question

Rack:

I fully agree with you, but I dont understand why a tuned bow will shoot broadheads to a different point of impact then field points.

I am comfortable moving my sight to a tight bh group. But I wish I knew more about the physics of it.

And on another note...how do you guys select a quote from a posting and past it?

Dan
Old 08-26-2003, 06:36 PM

when i change from field points to muzzy 4 blades my arrows are 3/4 to 1 inch longer. this has got to change somthing spine foc anyway i shoot 4 inches right with muzzys and dead on with field points at 40 yards. there only 2 inches right at 20 yards just moved my sights. i also have a ? i shoot 400 camo beemans #433 grains total with 100 grain head 28 inch long at 61#. i have perfect bullet holes with field points out to 40 yards but with the muzzys i get a left 2 inch tear at 6 feet i also im left hand is this normal . i can get 3 to 4 inch groups with the muzzys at 40 yards.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Typical Buck

I just came through a similar problem. I moved my nock about 1/16" or less . . . the next shot was a robin hood. Have you ever seen what a 100gr Thunderhead does to a target arrow in the sweet spot? It ain' t pretty.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:05 AM

THEORETICALLY, yes. if the same group was 3 1/2" and the group NOT hitting the field points, I' d be looking at the 3 1/2" group....wondering what I was doing wrong!
If a broadhead hits somewhere other than the same weight field point, your arrows aren' t flying straight (NOTE: if your off by 2" at 20 yards...your pretty damn close...but not close enough)
I have yet to shoot a bow that I could get better groups with broadheads hitting a spot different than my field points.
Unless your shooting a VERY long broadhead (or one of a different weight) that REALLY changes your FOC...a well tuned bow should put broadheads in the same spot as field points. Paper be damned.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.broadheadtests.com I have a tuning section there. It should help you decide. These are just my opinions based on personal experience, mostly from my equipment, but from others as well. Bottom line is that you want a straight flying accurate setup.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:47 AM

Sometimes you can and sometimes you cant get the broadheads and field points to have the same impact point no matter what you do.
My broadheads are bending blades and breaking fletching at 30 yards but they still shoot a couple of inches lower than my field points. Does this mean that my arrows arnt " flying straight" ? Heck no. Im sure with somemore experimentation I could find a combo that would hit the same. Maybe a lighter weight broadhead, Maybe a heavier broadhead, Maybe 5 inch feathers instead of 4 inch, maybee........
I dont care. My broadheads are shooting just as accurate as my field points with consistant two inch groups at 30 yards. Why mess with it?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:17 AM

If a broadhead hits somewhere other than the same weight field point, your arrows aren' t flying straight (NOTE: if your off by 2" at 20 yards...your pretty damn close...but not close enough)
An arrow NEVER leaves the bow straight - they FLEX, sometimes quite a bit. I believe that this flex, when added to the physical characteristics of a bh and its differences to a field point can and often will yield slightly different flight. With that stated a bow that has a different POI could indeed be in perfect tune and shooting the best groups possible for that combination.

I have yet to shoot a bow that I could get better groups with broadheads hitting a spot different than my field points.
Don' t take this the wrong way - but have you really tried. I mean hide away your field tips for the day - screw on 3 or 6 broadheads - and just group tune out to longer yardage’s. With NO regard to how they hit with fieldpoints - and fiddle with the tune until you achieve your BEST GROUPS. If you do this for a few hours and then shoot a field tip - you may be in for a big surprise - and like I said if that fp is a few inches off - would you " de-tune" the bow to get the them the same.

Sometimes they do hit real close - but most of the time IMO there is a difference in the perfect BH tune and the perfect FP tune.

Now so no one gets there panties on fire I also believe that the same POI tune is a very good tune and will usually yield very good groups and a great convenience of not moving sights.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:47 AM

In a round about way, I have tried this. Not on purpose, but by working with friends bows that " were not shooting right" with broadheads.
I must say, that I have NOT shot broadheads with aluminum arrows in a LONG time...carbon stabilizes quicker, and minimizes the effect of the pre-requisite flex arrows will have on the launch.
I have gotten bows to shoot VERY good groups when not hitting the same POI of the field points...but when I get them hitting the SAME spot, the groups have never gotten worse...maybe not any better...but not worse. Simply put, they' ll group better than I can shoot.
I' ll also say that I have done the VAST majority of my bow tuning with Muzzy broadheads. I KNOW I can get a bow to hit the same POI with these as with field points (I even use them when I plan to shoot my Slick tricks...the Slick Tricks ALWAYS seem to be the same POI as field points). Maybe with other heads this can' t be done. If that' s the case, do your best...and if you MUST move your sights...so be it. I PERSONALLY don' t want to have to shoot that way.

But to answer your question, NO. I have not gone out with just broadheads and done a lot of group tuning (to costly replacing arrows). generally, I' ll fire 2 Muzzy' s with practice blades first, then 2-3 field points. When I' m done, they will all be in the same group, often with all 4-5 shafts touching at 20-30 yards.