Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 broadhead arrow flight tuning question >

broadhead arrow flight tuning question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead arrow flight tuning question

Old 08-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Spike

Default broadhead arrow flight tuning question

My wife was shooting her bow this weekend and I noticed the following behavior when she switched to broadheads. At 20 yards she was 2 inches higher with the broadhead than the field tip. At 25 it was roughly the same and at 30 they were shooting almost to the same point of impact. Would this suggest that the bow needs a little tuning (if so, what should I do?) or should I just adjust the pins for the broadheads and be done with it?
thanks,
Will
Old 08-25-2003, 08:35 AM

Default RE: broadhead arrow flight tuning question

I know quite a few will disagree with me on this but.....if the broadheads are flying well and grouping good just adjust your sights to the broadheads and dont worry yourself with tweeking and tuning to try and get the field points to hit exactly the same. Alot of times you just cant no matter how much fine tuning you do and you end up knocking everthing out of whack trying. [:-]
Old 08-25-2003, 03:20 PM

Raise the knocking point just a touch and see what happens. I bet they will move right in.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:35 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

What Benhuntin said.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:26 PM

Willhunt:

I had a similar thing happen with my setup this year. All my broadheads hit a little high. My 20 yd pin was on at 25, 30yd on at 35... I think that if they are hitting consistently you should be able to move the sight for your hunting set up and be good to go.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:19 PM

PERSONALLY I prefer to get them to hit the SAME spot....tells me my arrows are leaving the bow " straight" .
I won' t adjust sights to make up for lack of tuning...no matter HOW they group.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:52 AM

What Ben said. As long as they are flying straight and grouping well just adjust
your sights.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Spike

thanks for the suggestions. I' m going to try to adjust the nock point first. This is a short 50 lb bow and I want the tune to be as good as possible for penetration sake.
Will
Old 08-26-2003, 08:41 AM

I won' t adjust sights to make up for lack of tuning...no matter HOW they group.
So if you get 2" groups at 30 yds with the bh' s hitting 3 inches low and to the right, you will tune until same point of impact?

And if now your groups are 3 1/2" but the POI is the same you consider this the best BH tunning.

Isn' t the whole concept of tunning to acieve the best groupings?

Just because you have to move your sights does not mean you have not found the " best" tune for your broadheads.

Are those worms I see
Old 08-26-2003, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

So if you get 2" groups at 30 yds with the bh' s hitting 3 inches low and to the right, you will tune until same point of impact?

And if now your groups are 3 1/2" but the POI is the same you consider this the best BH tunning.

Isn' t the whole concept of tunning to acieve the best groupings?

Just because you have to move your sights does not mean you have not found the " best" tune for your broadheads.

Are those worms I see

Quick Reply: broadhead arrow flight tuning question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.