Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 5 Shot...We have a New Head to test... >

5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 PM

Default RE: 5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

It is not a matter of whom they are having perform the sideshow. What rattles my cage is that GKF has actually (officially) requested to enter a product in a " sideshow." In the time it took to read the post, I lost a lot of respect for GKF.

In would be a cold day in hell that I would recommend a product to someone and have to tell him or her that I recommend the product because it shaves well and done ok when it was tested in a backyard by shooting the head into steel barrels, plywood, rubber tires, and an orangeā€¦.one time each.

Hey, if it fits you and you like the style wear it! Just ain' t my size or style!

Old 08-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok then in a perfect world what exactly do you want to see in your broadhead reviews and whom would you like to see testing them? All of gfk' s advertisements would be biased just like all companies are. They are not going to tell you the weak aspects of their broadheads. They will tell you what they think will sell them. You are better off doing your own " backyard" testing or taking the opinion of a person who has tested many many broadheads. Such as 5 shot who knows first hand how they stack up to an array of other broadheads. But if you want to go by what the manufacturer Bob foulkrod or Chuck Adams says by all means keep lining their pockets. I will go by a my own testing from the experiences and opinions of trusted friends and fellow Huntingnet forum members to decide what products to look further into. Thats just me though. By the way do you think 5 shots pockets are getting fat from passing on usefull info to the ones of us who do appericiate it. My guess would be no.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

C903;
If you open some of the hunting magazines these days you will see that some manufacturers send out free of cost there products for field testing by randomly choosen magazine subscribers for them to use, test and return their written impressions and ratings of the products performance and then publish the results in the magazine.
I believe alot of people like to see real word results by the average person, like themselves.
I have no idea for GKF reasons for requesting 5 shot to test the product, but I know I look forward to reading the results
I know that Golden Key Futura has done nothing but impress me to this day with there quality products and superb customer service.
GKF TECH I wore the Golden Key Futura Hat Proudly at the IBO Bedford Nationals,ASA Cabelas Illinois Champiopnship PRO/AM ,ASA Illinois State Championship and the ASA Cabelas Championship Classic this year , so thanks for the free hat, free lizard toungue lanchers and the free replacement screw for my old rest , so THANKS AGAIN.
Deborah KF
Old 08-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

c903,

Seems that GKF would have done much testing and make dang sure that the head will stand up to tires, ply wood, and steel barrels before they would consider letting " someone else" put that particular head through their own paces and then post their findings for the whole world to read, good or bad.

I guess that you wouldn' t use Wasp, Rocket, muzzy, innerlock or any of the other heads out there either because I have seen, and so has every one else around thse boards, testing done where the manufacturers themselves shoot their own heads and the competitions heads into the exact same things that 5shot uses and add cinder blocks too. There goes your " scientific" testing theory.

Guess your going to just have to make your own broadheads from now own since this kind of testing " just aint your size or style" .
Old 08-25-2003, 10:27 PM

Because of the design and quality of GKF products, (GKF rests were advanced for the times) I have always considered that in order for a manufacturer to produce such a quality product, the manufacture would have to use the best available advanced and sophisticated methods of design, manufacturing, and scientific testing to produce such a product. It appears I have been sadly mistaken or things have changed and GKF needs to cut costs.

To think that such a company would resort to having a private individual test their product in a backyard operation, using uncontrolled, unscientific, and exaggerated methods; that are (apparently) unverified and undocumented (most manufactures document and archive their testing).

C you might want to step out of that bubble and get in the real world with everyone else. To think that gkf would use 5 shot as the only test would
be seriously stupid. It' s just another way for them to advertise their product.
Shame on them for wanting people to see how their product stacks up in testing by a third party. Kind of like CONSUMER REPORTS huh....How scientific do you think their testing is? As former subscriber I can tell you that their testing is about as scientific as " rock,paper,scissors" . But people read that magazine and manufacturers send their products. It' s just another form of grass roots advertising, and in some ways more effective than an ad in BOWHUNTER or some other mag.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-25-2003, 11:47 PM

I consider such forms of marketing to be nothing more that hyperbole (hype), a common marketing tool (hype) that entered the sport of bowhunting some years past, to its (bowhunting) detriment. What does shooting plywood, metal, rubber, and fruit (one time each) prove?

Just because some other manufacturer use all or part of the same type of experimenting method, does not validate the method and results. It is simply a matter of other manufacturers climbing on the same " Medicine Man" wagon because there are people gathering and buying the " snake oil."

Some of you that have implied what you believe GKF' s true goal is had better read what you wrote. Some of you are implying that GKF is using " 5 shot" as a promotional patsy. That his method of testing and the results mean nothing to GKF, because GKF has probably tested their own product and already knows how the broadhead will perform.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

[][:' (] Here we go again!
Old 08-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

" What does shooting plywood. metal, rubber, and fruit one time each prove?"

Well I think we may have found your malfunction. You are missing the whole point. For one who rides such a high and mighty horse you missed the boat. If a head was to passthrew the plywood, metal, rubber w/ out breaking or slight damage that would tell you it would perform extremly well if one was to miss his/hers mark and hit sholder. If the head busted up and broke I sure would not go buy them to use on my hunting set up. You may but, that just isn' t my size or style. As for the orange it is a good way to test if a mechanical opens on impact or quickly there after. Have you ever looked through an archery/ hunting mag? Well I don' t know what company you have found and use that aren' t using as stated above " consumer reports" . Flip to the back of a North American Hunter. What do you see?? Well for you a bunch of companies that you will never again respect.
To compare this to something a little different. The Titantic was an engineering marvel science at its best for the time. Toted as the unsinkable ship. Now if they would have put their scientific marvel through a " backyard" test maybe just maybe all of those people would not have died. I know it is a stretch to compare broadheads to the titantic I am just stateing the importance of testing somethings durability before counting on it to get the job done.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:37 AM

Word of mouth is sometimes the best advertising any company can have and it can also be the worst! I myself give GKF a BIG THUMBS UP for having the balls to put their new product on the line by giving a good grass roots archer WITH NOTHING PERSONAL TO GAIN an opportunity to test their product in his own way and put their " neck on the line" so to speak...

By the way c903 have you ever tried counseling?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

c903,

In all honesty I understand your point and do agree that you have one to some extent. However, I cannot tell you how many times I hear or see folks specifically request for an independent third party to test (or review) a specific manufacturer' s product or series of products. It adds credibility to the manufacturer' s claims if the " average Joe" finds much of the advertising claims to be true rather than just hype.

Now obviously, 5shot is not necessarily your average Joe in terms of his experience with broadheads as he has taken a great deal of time and resources to perform and report on his findings with many of the various heads on the market. His name has become synonymous with broadhead testing. His opinions are greatly respected in regard to the various broadhead issues.

I give credit to GKF for being bold enough and confident enough in their equipment to allow 5shot to test their new head.

Now, any manufacturer with half an ounce of sense will thoroughly test their own equipment before sending it out to be reviewed by a third party. I am sure that GKF has done just that in this case. So, I would not be the least surprised to see the heads do exceptionally well in his tests.

Archery equipment manufacturers are beginning to realize the power of the proverbial " word of mouth" via the internet. The weight of the word of the ones we trust carries more weight than a simple advertisement in a magazine. I applaud GKF for realizing this and for taking the first step towards utilizing it to their benefit.

Again, respectfully, your point is well made but another perspective may be in order.

Quick Reply: 5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.