HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Bear Anarchy tuning problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/358655-bear-anarchy-tuning-problem.html)

Copperhed 02-16-2012 01:55 AM

Bear Anarchy tuning problem

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first post,

I have been trying to tune my new Bear Anarchy and I am not having any luck. It is set at 70lbs and 29" draw and using Easton ST Excel 300s cut at 28" with Blazer Vanes and 100gr points. I am using the Sure Shot Pro Whisker Biscuit and a Trophy Ridge Hitman 5 with .010 pins. I have put about 200 arrows through it. Using D-loop and release.

I keep getting a nock low/right tear while paper tuning. If I move the rest wwwaaayyy (nearly maxed out) out to the left I can get rid of the nock right tear but then I still have a 1 inch nock low tear. I have moved the nock way up to where I start having fletching contact on the rest and everywhere in between and no change. Tiller measurements are the same, no noticeable cam lean. I have taken the limbs down to the lowest weight (60lbs) and no change and I have added tiller top and bottom, up to 1 full turn difference, with no change.

Bare shafts and fletched arrows produce the same tears. The arrow is aligned with the berger holes,

I am at a loss guys. I have tuned a few bows, but never come across this and I'm stumped, any help would be great.

Thanks

HDMontana 02-16-2012 03:55 AM

For a right hand tear, rest should be moved slightly to right, towards riser. Low tear, move nock point up or rest slightly down. Another thing to try would be a different tip weight to change the spine of the arrow. Shoot from about 8 feet from the paper using good form and even or slightly grip low pressure.

bronko22000 02-16-2012 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this will help. First off, I gave up on paper tuning. After many many years of shooting and setting up bows, I no use the walk back method followed by broadhead tuning. To me these methods produce far better results. But here is the Easton tuning guide which should help you get a perfectly tuned bow.

Copperhed 02-16-2012 04:45 PM

Thanks guys, I have tried using 125gr tips and didn't notice a difference. I have tried all the easy corrections with no change. I am thinking it is a bow problem but I can't figure out what. I am also going to try a lighter spined arrow, but I don't know how that would help, seems opposite of what is suppose to work.

Dontdrinkthekoolaid 02-16-2012 09:58 PM

1 Your a bit over spined. Adding weight to the tip will help but even at a 125g tip, your still over spined. This is a major contributer to the issue.

2 Start over. Set your rest so the arrow lines with the berger holes and then set your nock point level or at most 1/8" high.

3 Forget about paper tuning. Paper tuning only allows you to get your set up close and that's all it's made for. Setting with berger holes and a square does the same thing. Also, if your arrows are over spined, paper tuning will never work as this will effect arrow flight right out of the bow

4 Walk back tune from 10 yards to however far your want to shoot making adjustments as you go.

If those steps don't provide better results then it's something that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's likely though that the spine is the problem. I would guess that if that is fixed, everything else will come in line. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Copperhed 02-16-2012 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dontdrinkthekoolaid (Post 3912641)
1 Your a bit over spined. Adding weight to the tip will help but even at a 125g tip, your still over spined. This is a major contributer to the issue.

2 Start over. Set your rest so the arrow lines with the berger holes and then set your nock point level or at most 1/8" high.

3 Forget about paper tuning. Paper tuning only allows you to get your set up close and that's all it's made for. Setting with berger holes and a square does the same thing. Also, if your arrows are over spined, paper tuning will never work as this will effect arrow flight right out of the bow

4 Walk back tune from 10 yards to however far your want to shoot making adjustments as you go.

If those steps don't provide better results then it's something that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's likely though that the spine is the problem. I would guess that if that is fixed, everything else will come in line. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Thank you, I have been wondering that but my Mathews LX shoots the same arrows and it shoot bullet holes. Thats what makes me think it is something else.

Should I try some 340s at 28" or try the 300s at like 29" or 30". I guess I will probably try both just to see which is better and if it fixes the problem. probably try it tomorrow evening. I will let you guys know.

Dontdrinkthekoolaid 02-17-2012 10:05 AM

340's are better if your planning on shooting 70 lbs. if planning on shooting 60 lbs you could even go higher. Adding arrow length will get you to the same place. It is possible that your mathews did shoot an over spined arrow well. Every bow is different. I would suspect thought that a slightly lower spined arrow would have shot even better out of your mathews. In my opinion, paper tuning is over rated. As said before, when paper tuning, if you move 2 or 3 feet forward of backward from your original distance you will get a different result every time until you are so far away your arrow has stabilized. however, it is good as a starting point and to determine if there are major things off with the set up (in this case spine). Bare shaft tuning will also yield a similar result for your set up at this point, as it is specifically designed to help determine the correct spine of the arrow. Your going to love that bow :-)

Copperhed 02-17-2012 07:31 PM

FIXED!!!!

Ok, I changed out my brand new Sure Shot Pro Whisker Biscuit for a old Trap Door Mach 4 that I had and poof, bullet holes!!!

For some reason the Whisker Biscuit was very tight where the fletching went through. I compared it to my older Whisker Biscuit and the fletching passes through much easier with the older one. Definitely did not expect the biscuit to be the problem. Now I will have to contact Trophy Ridge. The bow shoots awesome!!!

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

passthru79 02-22-2012 06:09 PM

Glad you got it fixed, i just got my anarchy last week and man does that thing shoot.