Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Arrow Flight Help >

Arrow Flight Help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Flight Help

Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Flight Help

Ok, so I shoot in an Indoor Rec. league at paper animal targets. It's not too competitive but it's great practice during the hunting off-season and great camaraderie. We shoot paper animal targets at 20 yards, 3 arrows a target, and 15 rounds.

My set-up:
2012 Hoyt CRX 32
Radial X Weave 200 Arrows
100 Grain Field Points
2" Blazer Vanes - Helical
QAD Ultra Light Drop-Away Rest

The last few weeks I've been extremely inconsistent. Rarely shooting 1 inch or less groups. Most have been 4-5 inches, occasionally worse. Also they're never consistently missing in one spot. Last night I noticed my arrows tail-whipping, so I knew they weren't leaving the rest correctly. It appeared I was making contact somewhere between the arrow and the riser (maybe cables). This is with cock feather up. I decided to try shooting with cock feather down, as I used to with my old two prong, stationary rest.

I shot three arrows per target and over the next several targets, one specific arrow I shot hit exactly where I wanted. The other two arrows hit low by about 4-6 inches, but many times were touching. And, left to right they were dead on. These three arrows have the same fletching, same field points, etc. They no doubt graze the top of the rest when released, but I just can't figure out why one flies correctly, and the other two are hitting low if their all set-up the same way. Suggestions on how to fix this or reasons why it may be happening? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO it is very hard to determine what is causing your inconsistant arrow flight without being there. But if I were to troubleshoot your condition I would look at several things:
1. Shooting form (Probably the lowest possibility)
2. Something that may be easily overlooked is nock pinch. Is your D loop pinching your nock to tight.
3. Fletching contact. Could be with your rest or could be with your cables.
4. Bow went out of tune (did your rest or nock set move?)
5. Bow timing is off.
Like I said, it would be hard to determine what your problem is without 'hands on' knowledge. First thing I would do after detemining there was no fletching contact or nock pinch is to do a walk back.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Have you recently switched arrows? What poundage are you shooting? I think an x weave 200 is for a lower poundage, around 50-55 lbs. Draw lentgh will also factor into arrow selection.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's Thursday, so that means tourney night. I may try to go early to see if I can't figure out whats going on and try some of those troubleshooting steps.

HD, I've been shooting these arrows from the start. My CRX is around 62lbs, and at 27.5" draw.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Arrows should be ok then. I would definitely check the cam timing.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Will do thanks!