Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead flight >

Broadhead flight

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead flight

Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bare shaft at 80 yards? I've been doing this for almost 40 years and I'm sorry, but............
Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Bare shaft at 80 yards? I've been doing this for almost 40 years and I'm sorry, but............
Well you have to put a field point on the end of it but if the spine and bow is tuned right you sure don't need any fletch to hit the bullseye. Olympic shooters do this all the time.....
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by screamin
Well you have to put a field point on the end of it but if the spine and bow is tuned right you sure don't need any fletch to hit the bullseye. Olympic shooters do this all the time.....

Not at 80

The slightest breeze at that distance could cost them a $70 arrow.But they do have an indoor training facility.

Last edited by TFOX; 03-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Spike

well I shoot outside and could care less about the slightest breeze, it is not an issue. Now a 30 mph cross wind is, vanes or no vanes.

You guys don't believe me... oh well, carry on
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is possible, than how can it be that you can get a bow dialed in perfectly for BH, but have to adjust the rest toget it perfectly dialed in for FP? It would appears that if you can get them to have the same POI at one setting that you should not be able to have two different settings where they each fly and group well?

Side note: many of you state that it is always possible, however given some situation ie long draw, etc it may not be possible. Just what I have come to realize.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turk - No, you don't keep adjusting your rest for ft then bh. You do it once and unless you change something like tip weight, poundage, arrow spine, draw length, you don't have to do it again. Your FTs and BH will hit the same POI.
As for the bare shafts at 80 yds, although it may be possible but I would have to see it to believe it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Spike

Turk, if you have to use two different rest settings, one for broadheads and one for field points, the arrow spine is wrong.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by screamin
Turk, if you have to use two different rest settings, one for broadheads and one for field points, the arrow spine is wrong.
that is basically what I have to do. I only shoot BH now as it just made more sense. I can shoot well out to 70 with my BH so I just leave the adjustment where it stands. I have had people chart my bow/arrow and it comes back fine?? here is my set up.

2011 carbon element, 30", 70#, QAD Ultra pro.
30" maximum hunter dual spine weight forward (the new dual spine shoots different than the original weight forward), 100gr heads.

No matter what I did with this bow or my old one I could never get them to group well for same POI. I have set up my brother and cousins bow and have had no problems getting them to have the same POI (29" and 27" set ups), but for me it just never works out.

If you have a suggestion I am all ears.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Spike

Turk, so 30" draw at 70lbs with a peep and loop on the string. You shoot the Maxima Hunter KV 350 with 100gr heads cut to 30" correct? If so, that arrow is to weak. If you went to the regular Maxima Hunter 450 you would be really close. Might have to cut a 1/4" off the shaft to be perfect though, just have to experiment and see.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Turk, why are your arrows so long?

If you cut about 2 inches off the arrow you are shooting now you should get real close to a perfect spine for your set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.