Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead flight >

Broadhead flight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead flight

Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I only go as far as 60 cause that's all the pins I have. But I bet at 75 yds its pretty easy to find a flaw in your form. Not much room for error at that range.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
to be honest and this is just my $.02

field tips and broad heads will give you different FOC

field tips fly through the air different that fixed or mech blades and over long distances will alter your arrow path

Don't shoot just field points and screw in a hunting head to go hunting, practice with the heads you intend to shoot. Know how they fly, and adjust to using them.

field tips are perfect for target shooting
broadheads are perfect for hunting

use and practice with what you plan to shoot at.
Foc has nothing to do with it. Gravity doesn't know or careif where the weight is. It just pulls the arrow to the earth.

A broadhead will have more resistance due to more surface area but that doesn't come into play until way past normal hunting distances. Especially if the arrow is tuned properly and has adequate fletch.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Gravity may pull at it no matter what is there. But to have a proper tuned arrow your FOC is important.

Or go put 100gr at the middle of your arrow and shoot it and then move 100gr to the nock and shoot it. Arrow will weigh the same for gravity to pull on it but your now FOC is way off.

FOC is part of a tuned arrow.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Gravity may pull at it no matter what is there. But to have a proper tuned arrow your FOC is important.

Or go put 100gr at the middle of your arrow and shoot it and then move 100gr to the nock and shoot it. Arrow will weigh the same for gravity to pull on it but your now FOC is way off.

FOC is part of a tuned arrow.

Yes but your original post made it sound like a broadhead will have a different point of impact because of of a higher foc. This should only be true if the broadhead is actually heavier.

The 1% to 2% foc increase because of broadhead length is not going to make a broadhead impact lower.100 grain on the front of the shaft is all that matters.

I actually agree with the rest of your post.

Broadheads can be tuned to the same poi but will not have the same flight characteristics as fp's.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Normally when i get into this discussion and I'm being told its not possible I just shrug my shoulders and say

" I dont know, mine hit the same spot and I tuned it that way"

"Can you explain why mine hit the same spot?"
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Yes but your original post made it sound like a broadhead will have a different point of impact because of of a higher foc. This should only be true if the broadhead is actually heavier.

The 1% to 2% foc increase because of broadhead length is not going to make a broadhead impact lower.100 grain on the front of the shaft is all that matters.

I actually agree with the rest of your post.

Broadheads can be tuned to the same poi but will not have the same flight characteristics as fp's.
I agree the FOC change will be marginal but going from a blunt tip to a Grim Reaper SS You have another inch of broadhead sticking out front.

I prefer to shoot and dial in the head I plan to hunt with. Could try to dial both fieldtips and broadheads in but find it just easier to dial in the broadheads and practice still but not make any adjustments.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sbooy42
Normally when i get into this discussion and I'm being told its not possible I just shrug my shoulders and say

" I dont know, mine hit the same spot and I tuned it that way"

"Can you explain why mine hit the same spot?"
I say your doing pretty good. We all have our ways of dialing in. At the end of the day all that matters is you can put an ethical shot on your target be alive or paper.

!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Spike

yes it can be done but it takes some effort, a lot of guys aren't willing to do it much less learn how. I can shoot a bare shaft with field points and fixed blade broadheads together out to 80 yds.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by screamin
yes it can be done but it takes some effort, a lot of guys aren't willing to do it much less learn how. I can shoot a bare shaft with field points and fixed blade broadheads together out to 80 yds.

Bare shaft at 80 yards?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TFOX
Bare shaft at 80 yards?
I thought the same thing but.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.