Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead flight >

Broadhead flight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead flight

Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Broadhead flight

Forum members. There appears to be a member on this forum who is absolutely steadfast in his opinion that Broadheads cannot, because of their design, shoot to the same point of impact as field tips. No matter how many times I have tried to convince this individual otherwise he refuses to accept what I am telling him.
I have tried and tried to explain (even through video links) to this individual that you CAN fine tune your bow/rest so that your BHs and FT hit the same POI. He believes that you must sight in for your broadheads as there is no way they will impact the target the same as field tips.
Can anyone else provide their imput on this subject?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

In short? Some people don' know how to tune a bow or even know that there is such a thing. These and many others would certainly know nothing about fine tuning. Then there are others that are just too lazy.

You just can't convince everybody so don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It can be done

I have done this many times, at least out to 40 yards. A few bows have been more difficult than others, but I usually can get pretty close if not right on. Some guys will yap about trying to get broadheads to hit with field tips being a "compromise tune" and not really ideal tune for either. IMO, if you are going to get them to hit together, you have to get the arrow coming straight off the bow. That minimizes/eliminates the steering effect of the broadhead on the front of the arrow. It should also make the broadhead flight as good as it can get, plus maximize penetration.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

to be honest and this is just my $.02

field tips and broad heads will give you different FOC

field tips fly through the air different that fixed or mech blades and over long distances will alter your arrow path

Don't shoot just field points and screw in a hunting head to go hunting, practice with the heads you intend to shoot. Know how they fly, and adjust to using them.

field tips are perfect for target shooting
broadheads are perfect for hunting

use and practice with what you plan to shoot at.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

KK - therein lies the secret to a finely tuned bow. Once you tune your bow to where the FTs and BHs are shooting to the same POI - then at reasonable bowhunting distances (out to 60 yds) there witll very little, if any change in POI. I do agree that because of the varying length between a BH and FT that the FOC will be slightly different.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Last year when it came time to practice with my broadheads, they were off from poi of field points. Spot on the year before. Took bow to shop and checked paper tune. Sure enough, a little tail kick. Adjusted rest, got perfect bullet hole, took bow back out and slick tricks shot same poi as field points out to 60 yards as they should. Proper tune equals same poi.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
KK - therein lies the secret to a finely tuned bow. Once you tune your bow to where the FTs and BHs are shooting to the same POI - then at reasonable bowhunting distances (out to 60 yds) there witll very little, if any change in POI. I do agree that because of the varying length between a BH and FT that the FOC will be slightly different.
I agree the difference should be small between the two if you have good form and the bow is tuned correctly.

I use fieldtips all yr long but my final dial in is with a practice head, still shoot fieldtips during hunting season to practice but don't change anything.

Also don't be quick to alter your sights. Some days may just be crappy with form or your just not feeling it. Try again the next day or so.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Forum members. There appears to be a member on this forum who is absolutely steadfast in his opinion that Broadheads cannot, because of their design, shoot to the same point of impact as field tips. No matter how many times I have tried to convince this individual otherwise he refuses to accept what I am telling him.
I have tried and tried to explain (even through video links) to this individual that you CAN fine tune your bow/rest so that your BHs and FT hit the same POI. He believes that you must sight in for your broadheads as there is no way they will impact the target the same as field tips.
Can anyone else provide their imput on this subject?

Dang brother I misunderstood your PM and thought you were talking about tuning an arrow to broad head, as far as Field Tips and Broad shooting the same. If a bow is tuned properly they should fly the same however; depending on weather conditions a fixed blade broad fly can be greatly effected by the weather. The blades are more sensitive to wind and heat thermos, than a Field Tip. However a field tip and a mechanical should always fly the same depending if they are the same weight.
Much like an aircraf being effected by the wind; we all know that larger wings will be effected more than a smaller wing aircraft, and a lighter air craft will be effected more than a heavy aircraft.. One reason I shoot super heavy for hunting. (over 540 gn.s) total arrow weight.

I have different bows set up for various things, one for 3D in which I normally shoot an arrow with field tip weighing around the 400 grain area, also with different sights. For hunting I will use a broad head that is at least 150 more grains than my 3D bow and use different sights, stabilizer, but I can tell you that all of my bows are perfectly tuned.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rev, I wholeheartely agree that shooting a fixed blade in windy conditions may or could cause erratic arrow flight or cause an arrow to veer off course. But Could not the same be said for wind catching the fletching?
I know there are times when we are not hunting in ideal conditions (wind, rain, excessive heat) but under normal shooting conditions at yardages 40 yds and less with no wind or slight breeze, the average shooter should find no discernable POI difference between a FT and BH out of a proberly tuned bow. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your right, at 40 yards and under if tuned right it shouldn't make any difference, to me 40 yards is close anyway. If something is wondering off at 40 or less you have some issues with your bow!

I shoot out to 75 yards, just to make sure my form is consistant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.