Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Never would have thought >

Never would have thought

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Never would have thought

Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Never would have thought

For this upcoming season, I decided to switch one of my bows over from using 100 gr tips to 125 on the off chance I draw an elk tag. The BHs came in yesterday so this evening I shot 125 gr FTs and one of the 125 BHs in my basement (15 yds).
Now this bow was in perfect tune with 100 gr heads. But with the 125 gr heads, the FTs were 2" higher and 2" left of the BHs. A minor adjustment to the right with the rest put the FT directly over the BH. Another adjustment slightly down put them touching each other. The rest adjustment was probably less than 1/16" in both directions but I would have never thought the 25 grs would have made that much difference.
I am shooting 28"Gold Tip Traditional 5575 at 67#. But I guess it just proves that you don't take any change for granted - no matter how minor.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spine?

Looks like changing the point weight to 125 grains changed the tune of the bow. It would make the spine of the arrows softer. Glad you were able to get it retuned.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Joe you are right. And if I were to just adjust my sights to my FTs I might never have know that my tuning was off. A couple minor tweeks of the rest had the BHs and FT flying together again as they did with the 100 gr heads. At least they are at 15 yds. I will more than likely have to do some additional rest adjustment when I get outside and shoot longer distances.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Might need a quick paper tune before sighting in IMO.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

HD - I quit paper tuning a long time ago. After setting up several bows for myself and friends I can get pretty close to being aligned by using a couple tools and eyeball. Then I use the walk back method to verify I have vertical alignment of my arrows. This is what I call fine tuning. Next I shoot my FTs and BHs side by side and do my super fine tuning - adjusting the rest in tiny increments until the BHs hit with the FTs. I do this at 20, 30, and 40 yds. IMO if you are tuned at 40 yds you should be fine. (I do shoot at 50 and 60 yds with my BHs but I feel my impacts "off center" are more from the movment of the bow and my ability rather than the bow itself.) As long as I can maintain a 5-6" group at 60 yds I am estatic.)
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you have a system down that works for you so by all means stay with it. I have easy access to paper tuner at work so it's easy for me to use. Plus comes in handy when customers can see tears and know why bow needs adjusted.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

HD - my systems works for me. And all the critters that have succumbed to my broadheads over the past several years have not complained about arrow placement.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
HD - I quit paper tuning a long time ago. After setting up several bows for myself and friends I can get pretty close to being aligned by using a couple tools and eyeball. Then I use the walk back method to verify I have vertical alignment of my arrows. This is what I call fine tuning. Next I shoot my FTs and BHs side by side and do my super fine tuning - adjusting the rest in tiny increments until the BHs hit with the FTs. I do this at 20, 30, and 40 yds. IMO if you are tuned at 40 yds you should be fine. (I do shoot at 50 and 60 yds with my BHs but I feel my impacts "off center" are more from the movment of the bow and my ability rather than the bow itself.) As long as I can maintain a 5-6" group at 60 yds I am estatic.)
That's exactly what I do too, I stopped paper tuning years ago. Walk back tuning will sure tell you what's going on with your bow.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Not disagreeing with you guys at all. There are many ways to check bow tuning. Some claim you need to shoot a bare shaft. I have never found a need to do that myself. Just agreeing that once you find a system that works for you then stay with it. As they say, if it ain't broke....
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

What distance do you guys paper at?

Just wondering as I have shot fletched and bare. At 3 ft 6 ft 9ft. Even shot bare shaft at 20 yards with my fletched arrows.

I am going to try walk back tuning with my new arrows hopefully this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.