Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Sights 101

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default Bow Sights 101

I am new to archery and I was wondering if someone could help out with explaining A few things about sights in general. The real question is what makes a good sight a good sight? Why are some so much more than others, ya a lot of the big money ones have 5 pins. But I know that's not really it. How man pins does one really need for Turkey/deer hunting? Personal prefence?

Also drop away rests vs. whisker biscuits does it have to do with the sight? What's better?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Most sights made today come with fiber optic pins. Higher end sights will use longer fiber optic material to create a brighter pin. Sight prices will vary with what materials are used and how much fine adjustments are built into the sight. Sights can have different axis adjustment points with higher dollar ones having 3 axis points. The number of pins you need will be determined by how far you want to shoot. I use 7 pins and practice out to 85 yards. Most people can get by with a basic 5 pin sight for around 50 to 70 dollars. Sight really doesn't correspond much with rest type. Whisker biscuit is a good arrow containment rest but I like the ripcord which is a drop away as well as arrow containment system. there are more good drop away rests on the market.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Spike

I shoot a 3 pin sight at 20 30 and 40 pin yardages with a whisker biscuit. All this was already on my bow when I got it and it works just fine for me because theres no way I would feel comfortable shooting a deer out past 40 yards. But thats just me.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

My wife and myself use a TruGlo Carbon XS. We both swapped out our 3 pin sights for these. Well actually she got it and I liked it so much it was either get my own or steal hers.

This sight has 5 pins and the fiber optics are .19 size Which is a pretty standard size on most sights now. Some newer and more $$ sights use .10 which I personally think are to small. Then the cheaper and some older sights have larger pins .28 I believe. The larger pin sizes seemed to block too much of the target at 40 or 50 yards. My stocker worked but limited me in adjustments, I suck at guessing yardage so I got my pins set to cover the areas I hunt and enjoy shooting out to in the back yard. I practice out to 50yards and doing this makes the 20 and 30 yard shots seem like childsplay.

You can get them for $50 from basspro or cabelas

as for rests it depends on what your looking for. I want full containment and a dropaway. Looked at QAD's and Rip Cord and Apache. I went with the code red rip cord. Not the cheapest but did what I wanted. It does drop back down if you let down the bow. This didn't effect me any this past hunting season when I had to let back down. Just be smooth and you won't have any issues. Get them on sale right now for the black body for $69

Last edited by Krypt Keeper; 02-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

That's a great price on the Ripcord. Locally they are around $90.00.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like to get a good value for my $ like most of us. My sight is also a TruGlo Trusight Xtreme 5 pin sight. Because of the design, this sight's pins would still be bright enough to use even after legal shooting light.
As for the rest, I chose the NAP Apache. The reason is it is strong, quiet, and very easy to set up. And because of its design, has more than enough arrow containment - at least for me.
There are a lot of sights and rests out there. Some better and some worse. My advice is to look at the different designs then find the one you like in your price range. Also compare similar sight designs with brand names. You may find that you're paying a couple $ more for a very similar sight (becaue they have to pay their celebs for advertising their product).
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HDMontana
That's a great price on the Ripcord. Locally they are around $90.00.
Yep was just reading on here or archerytalk and can't for the life of me find it or remember who had them on sale.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Spike

Anyone know of some good websites for archery equipment, I'm new to all of this. I obviously know Cabelas, Bass Pro, and gander mt. I didn't know if there was like an archery depot or something
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Keystone country store has a pretty good selection. Prices are average. Nice thing about Gander Mountain is the free shipping.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Got a great deal on a black truglo from bowhuntersupply for $32. Then found a black new ripcord for sale on AT for $60.

Both will look great on my new toy. No camo on this rig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.