Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Slow and heavy...or light and fast??? >

Slow and heavy...or light and fast???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Slow and heavy...or light and fast???

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Spike

I like to have an arrow setup that's about in the middle of the road. There are trade offs in everyones setups, so if your seeing great success with the FMJ's then why change. I think if you took a poll FMJ's would be at or near the top. They have good weight and have a thin dia. that I prefer, but honestly I can build an ACC or Axis shaft to have the same weight, but with a much better foc%.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it's pretty obvious I like heavy.. My hunting arrows are over 540 gns.. They have always worked for me and the only reason I could think of using a lighter and faster arrow is because someone can't judge distance!

What would you rather drop on your foot from four feet up, a baseball or a bowling ball?... Some guys think that shooting 125 grains is heavy.. that's funny to me, I don't like ANY broad head under 220 grains.. like I said, it works for me, I hit a big buck several years ago a little high at 45 yards, it completly knocked him off his feet, you could see him going backwards, and when he hit all four legs were straight up in the air... No way I would ever go back to shooting light for speed, those that have talked into trying it, are still shooting heavy.

But Dance with the one that Brung ya!!! What you trust is what you should shoot!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rev - out of curiosity, what is your %FOC. It has to be really high.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you're like me

I'm a no special, plain ol shooting archer. I use and used the weight recommended in the charts and the arrow company. Good enough for me.
If you're an experimenter, have at it. Experimenters are not there to save money.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Spike

I try to hit 7.5 grs per lb, that seems to be the perfect blend of weight and speed for me. With my 60 lb bow an arrow like that will still move at 270fps and if I build it right, I get 20% foc. Never had a penetration issue with this arrow.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Spike

I think Slow and heavy is best option....
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Smile

Originally Posted by Gabrielle R Clark
I think Slow and heavy is best option....
My thought too. Would much rather have the extra KE than the speed advantage. My Gold Tip 55/75 XT Hunters weigh 468 grns total arrow weight w/ broadhead,insert,nock and 4 in vanes.and have FOC of 12%. When I chrono it I was getting an avg of 267 fps. That is pretty good in my area of the North East where most shoots are around 20 yds ,30 yds max cause of all the trees.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

WoW I have been on hiatus from the forums for several years now and see this debate is still on going. if you will search the forums I am sure you will find several threads on this very subject
the faster the arrow the better I like it, but that's just me.
My best suggestion is use what works best for the individual archers style of shooting.
I am all done trying to convince people light and fast is the way to go