Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Nock Pinch problem >

Nock Pinch problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nock Pinch problem

Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nock Pinch problem

I recently switched to Carbon express maxima hunters from easton axis. The CX nocks fit much tighter on the string and the arrow lifts off the rest. Any suggestions for remedies? Also I am concerned about the tight fit on the string reducing arrow speed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
WV
Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Your serving is probably to thick for the new arrow nock. There are two easy fixes for this, one of which is to get different nocks. A lot of the popular carbon arrow brands can interchange nocks. most gold tip and some easton nocks will work. Currently I have been shooting the Bohning brand double lock nock. If you get these then make sure the nock is snapped completely on before shooting arrow. Almost a double click when nocking. The second way to fix problem would be to have the bow reserved with a thinner serving material. Older bows usually have a pretty thick serving on them. If your bow has the plastic type serving then I would for sure get it reserved with a new serving material. Also, a lot of the new nocks are smaller because the bows nowadays have the thinner serving on them so if you do have an older bow then reserving is probably the best option.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by wvdeerhunter22
I recently switched to Carbon express maxima hunters from easton axis. The CX nocks fit much tighter on the string and the arrow lifts off the rest. Any suggestions for remedies? Also I am concerned about the tight fit on the string reducing arrow speed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
WV
I use a digital caliper to measure the serving diameter at the nocking point. Using that figure I use a drill bit a couple of thousants larger and drill out the base of the notch in each nock untill it free floats on the serving. I then use a swiss pattern needle file to open up the notch until I reach the proper tension for good arrow release. Once done it does not have to be done again unless you change nocks. Having the free float on the serving eliminates string torque on the arrow which can happen if you don't nock your arrows in line with the rest and the nock is too tight.
Hope this helps!

Snake42
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

I switched to bohning signature nocks and tied in a nockset. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Glad you found a solution. I think you will like those arrows. I switched from easton acc's to carbon express maximas 3 years ago and I really like them.