Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
trigger effect on draw legnth >

trigger effect on draw legnth

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

trigger effect on draw legnth

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default trigger effect on draw legnth

Buddy of mine was trying to convince me that if I went from a swept back trigger to a forward trigger I could get almost another inch in my draw.

I personally can't see how where my index finger goes can change this as the head of the release and where the string attatches on the hook both remain the same.

Release in question is the truball beast I. I have it with a swept back trigger. Can't see where moving my finger front or back will change anything unless I adjust the head of it front or back. This will indeed change things.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What your buddy is saying is that shooting such a release might allow you to increase the draw length of the bow so that you maintain your same reference points of hand to face. Of course if you touch your nose to the string and/or a kisser button this will change; probably not for the better.

Draw length is a term that is used in err too often. People might say "I have a 28" draw". This is not true. Nobody has a draw length. What they do have is physical traits that require them to shoot a BOW with a certain draw length to get the best accuracy.

There are several methods of measuring for what we refer to as "proper draw length". None of them are totally accurate for every individual. What any of the methods used is give you all general idea of what draw length MAY shoot the best for you. That's why it's advisable (in my estimation) to get measured and then buy a bow that can be adjusted at least 1" up and down from siad measurement. I would also advise any prospective buyer to have the bow of their choice physically measured to ensure that it is set for the draw length stated as many bows draw longer than marked.

Getting back to your situation, if you change releases and can get away with increasing the draw length accordingly your bow speed will go up approximately 10-12 fps. That's the only advantage to doing so. And really, 10 fps isll make about 1 1/2" difference in point of impact at 35 yards.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

No he saying by just changing the trigger and nothing else. You can buy the Beast with a swept back trigger or a forward trigger.

The distance from my wrist to the hook is fixed, if the trigger is forward or back won't have any direct effect on this distance. My kisser button and peep will line up just the same as will the tip of my nose to the string. I could take the trigger off and everything will still line up. Only thing changing with a different trigger would be the location of my finger to touch off the shot.