HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Why am I shooting 100 gr broadheads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/355886-why-am-i-shooting-100-gr-broadheads.html)

ModernPrimitive 12-23-2011 08:28 PM

Why am I shooting 100 gr broadheads?

I generally "hang-out" in the Blackpowder forum, but I am a lifelong bowhunter as well.
For whatever reason, when I switched to carbon arrows several years ago I also began shooting 100 gr 'heads vs 125-always fixed never mechanical.
Suddenly,as in I'm about to place an order online, I'm wondering why I made that change?

Bow is 55#, 29" draw, arrows are carbon "Radial X Weave Raven" 300.
I will admit to not having consulted a table myself but rather trusting the local bow shop wisdom on this.

Any input is appreciated.

bronko22000 12-25-2011 03:49 PM

When you switched from alum to carbon you lost quite a bit of weight (possibly up to 100 grs or more). Then you lost more weight going to the lighter BH. What you gained in speed, you lost in kenetic energy. You can gain some of the weight back by going back to the 125 gr BH but you have to be careful with your arrows. But in your case I would think that the 25 gr will not underspine your arrows. Especially at 29". My arrow/BH of choice out of my Martin Cheetah set at 57 lb is a Carbon Impact 5000 and 100 gr Magnus Stinger 4-blade. Out of my 62 lb Firecat I shoot 5575 Gold Tips and 125 gr Magnus Stinger 2 or 4 blade. Another good choice is the Muzzy Phanthom. The only problem I have with these is they have a tendancy for the main blade to come off when you pull them from a BH target. But I have found that they fly identical to the Stingers.

quake 12-25-2011 04:24 PM

Interesting, bronko.

ModernPrimitive 12-26-2011 06:01 AM

Bronko-I appreciate your input; thought I may have won most boring post award or something... of course, the switch from aluminum was the relevant factor. I remember now that decision was based not only on wanting to try something new, but growing tired of bent arrow shafts.
Similar, in my mind, to the ultra-light fishing tackle craze of the, what, 1980's?
I feel both flight & performance out to 30 yards or so is more than acceptable at present. I just wonder if I'm not fully utilizing my bow? My thought is that returning to 125 gr would probably require a different shaft as well resulting in a heavier arrow overall which, obviously, would alter performance.
The question for me: is it worth it?
Having always shot a recurve, the switch to a compound was merely a practical consideration; the eventual purchase of my Hoyt magna-tech @ 2002(?) or so, made me feel I was shooting something from the future by comparison! I simply never got into the technical aspect of my setup as I considered it a tool which worked.
I'm just now wondering if it could work "better"...

WV Hunter 12-26-2011 06:39 AM

I believe those arrows are spined a .340....which is actually stiff for your setup, espeically with 100gr heads. They probably should have set you up with the next spine down, but stiffer is usually never a bad thing unless its way too stiff. Too weak usually will give you fits.

No idea why you made the switch to 100's....but imo, you should be totally fine with 125's. My guess is the shop set you up with lighter heads for more speed. Personally I shoot 125's in my bow (with .340 spined shafts - 28.5") at 66lbs with no issues. You might actually shoot a tad tighter groups with a 125. Do you have some you can try out and see how they shoot (groups) compared to your 100's?

JNTURK 12-26-2011 11:31 AM

Shoot the 100's and the 125's and see which group better. No other reason to shoot one or the other.

glockman55 12-26-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by JNTURK (Post 3894537)
Shoot the 100's and the 125's and see which group better. No other reason to shoot one or the other.

Agree.. unless your going after larger game.. for Deer I shoot 100's because they shoot good and drop less.. I shoot a very light wt. arrow some would say, but I shoot 3D year round and like the Gold Tip ultralight Pro Series 22's.. 28" 355 gr. 2" blazers..

InnerX 12-27-2011 06:18 AM

With your set-up now it would be advantageous to shoot 125gr BH's. you will add some weight, but more importantly you will add FOC. I have done some EXTENSIVE testing on FOC and penetration and what I have found is that an arrow with better FOC even though it may have less KE will out penetrate and arrow that has more KE but less FOC. Make sense? In your case you will gain KE and FOC, best of both worlds. one reason you may have switched years ago was because there is more of a selection of 100gr BH's than 125gr BH's.

ModernPrimitive 12-27-2011 08:20 PM

I'll tell you, after reading your replies & checking my gut- as well as the Carbon Force shaft tables, 125 gr have been ordered.

The Rev 01-02-2012 07:11 AM

25 gn's is not going to make a whole lot of difference (I've been teaching and shooting archery over 40 years)

I shoot almost the same set up and I shoot 220 gn Muzzy Phantoms (total arrow weight is 543 gn's) for the last five years. All my shots were pass thrus, found the game within 50 yards, one buck I hit at 45 yards I knocked him completly off his feet..
I sure wouldn't sweat 25 gn's..

It's like hitting your thumb with a 20 oz hammer or a 21 oz hammer... but just imagine hitting yourself with a 40 oz hammer... one reason I shoot heavy!