Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
help wanted with bow strings etc... >

help wanted with bow strings etc...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

help wanted with bow strings etc...

Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Spike

Default help wanted with bow strings etc...

Hi, I am new to the forum and archery as a whole. I love to hunt but have never used a bow. Today I bought a PSE Proshop Series "The Beast" very, very cheap. It needs new string and cables. Went to local archery shop to get it fixed and found out that new string and cables will cost $135.00. I found string and cable sets on ebay for less than $25.00. They are in original pkg from PSE and marked with same part numbers as on my bow. The question is should I buy from ebay and have the local shop install them, or take my bow to the shop and pay the 135? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

A shop will charge you about 80 dollars to install. So if 135 is the install price, I would pass on the ebay deal. If thats strings alone, go ahead and buy them.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Spike

Thanks for that. The shop wants 135 for strings and install. My buddy got his strings and installed for 45. I thought 135 was high when he told me about his. He didnt need new cable though. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BCRules
A shop will charge you about 80 dollars to install. So if 135 is the install price, I would pass on the ebay deal. If thats strings alone, go ahead and buy them.
80??? As bad as the shops are, you can get strings installed at gander Mtn. for $20 if you provide the string.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Spike

$135 is a little steep. We have custom high quality strings made to order starting at $65 a set. that any color combo you want, and we guarantee against creep, serving separation, and peep rotation. Most shops will charge about $15-35 to install.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

20 bucks... just to install, The price comes from tuning, accessory install etc... Anyone can throw on some strings and shoot your bow for 20 bucks... It's making sure its right where the price comes in. I charge 85.00 for strings cables and install
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jicand
80??? As bad as the shops are, you can get strings installed at gander Mtn. for $20 if you provide the string.
Good luck with that. I install my own. I know I wouldn't do it for 20 dollars. Just retiming the cams and adjusting the yokes on the idler cable takes me some time.

You get what you pay for.

Better yet, your on a technical webpage. Pay attention and do it yourself.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gun870guy
20 bucks... just to install, The price comes from tuning, accessory install etc... Anyone can throw on some strings and shoot your bow for 20 bucks... It's making sure its right where the price comes in. I charge 85.00 for strings cables and install
I guess people in my area are spoiled then. at the shop if you bring us a set of strings we only charge $25 to install, put into spec, and do some quick tuning with you. we feel in the long run that a happy satisfied customer who will be back is more important than a one time $80 profit. but then again we also make most of our money on guns. archery can hold its own but our major share of profit comes from guns.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by InnerX
I guess people in my area are spoiled then. at the shop if you bring us a set of strings we only charge $25 to install, put into spec, and do some quick tuning with you. we feel in the long run that a happy satisfied customer who will be back is more important than a one time $80 profit. but then again we also make most of our money on guns. archery can hold its own but our major share of profit comes from guns.
You have your own strings or you have to order them out of house?

If you bring me a set of strings, I'll put em on for you for 20-25 depending on the bow... But, If I have to buy the strings, do the install and put all their stuff back on with them, tune everything up, shoot some paper and deliver.... Then I'd be seriously screwing myself. Then it depends on the bow....

Sure, anyone can throw your strings on for 25 dollars and get you shooting again... Is it 100%, probably not... a quick tune on a set of strings of unknown quality just means you turned the guy out the door without knowing whats gonna happen in the next 300 shots.... If I provide people strings, and tune it.. It's well worth the 80-85 dollars spent and if something does happen, then I can take care of it... not track down random vendor or battle an issue I had missed by not fully tuning the rig in the first place. Then my customer doesn't have to return... doesn't need to. Is always welcome back though...
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gun870guy
You have your own strings or you have to order them out of house?

If you bring me a set of strings, I'll put em on for you for 20-25 depending on the bow... But, If I have to buy the strings, do the install and put all their stuff back on with them, tune everything up, shoot some paper and deliver.... Then I'd be seriously screwing myself. Then it depends on the bow....

Sure, anyone can throw your strings on for 25 dollars and get you shooting again... Is it 100%, probably not... a quick tune on a set of strings of unknown quality just means you turned the guy out the door without knowing whats gonna happen in the next 300 shots.... If I provide people strings, and tune it.. It's well worth the 80-85 dollars spent and if something does happen, then I can take care of it... not track down random vendor or battle an issue I had missed by not fully tuning the rig in the first place. Then my customer doesn't have to return... doesn't need to. Is always welcome back though...
I think we are both confused. First up, I am sorry for the confusion but my string business and the shop I also work in are two different entities. I own a string business which consumes about 30hr/wk of my time. I work in a sporting goods/gun/archery shop part time also.

I thought that the 80+ dollars we were talking about earlier was just install, NOT providing strings as well. There are ties when customers come into the shop and are dead set on going with brand X of string or come in with strings already in their hand that they wish to have installed. That is were I got the 25 dollar figure from.

Other than those two confusions I think that we totally agree with each other. I agree with your last statements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.