Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bowtech Invasion or Mathews Z7 extreme? >

Bowtech Invasion or Mathews Z7 extreme?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Invasion or Mathews Z7 extreme?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowtech Invasion or Mathews Z7 extreme?

Has anyone shot both of these bows? I'm trying to decide on which one to purchase.... I would like personal experiences and opinions. It's a big purchase for myself and I would like to hear pro's and cons of each bow..
Thanks Mark

Last edited by whitetailcrazy; 10-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I sell both, have shot and tuned both extensively and own an invasion.

They are both equally quiet.
Riser vibration is equally non existent in both.

Here's why I chose the invasion.

The riser design (Center pivot) lends itself to a much more stable hold at full draw and it is much harder to torque the bow sideways due to the invasion having a deflexed riser and the Z having a huge massively reflexed riser.

The grip on the invasion is, IMO, a much better design, It is thinner, has the proper angle for a low wrist hold, and is just generally easier to shoot accurately. I'm not sure why Mathews can not put a grip on their hunting bows that is similar to their target bows??????

The invasion is definitely faster.

The split yolk over drive binary cam system is incredibly tunable. It is honestly the easiest to tune bows I have had the pleasure of owning or shooting. The back wall on the invasion is much more solid than on the Z bow. The invasion is one of the very few bows on the market that you can tune to actually tune to shoot straight down the center of the riser.

The invasion actually balances slightly to the rear as it comes out of the box and when you add you accessories it balances darn near perfectly neutral. The Mathews is already very forward heavy and when you add accessories it becomes even more front heavy.

I don't know what the Mathews riser is made of (I assume still 6061 aluminum) but the Invasions riser is made from 7000 series aluminum and is much more rigid than 6061 and resists riser flex much much better.

The invasion uses a laminated limb instead of a solid glass composite limb.

I'll be honest here though. I almost chose a G5 prime centroid. This bow matches the invasion feature for feature and is one hell of a fantastic shooting bow. The only reason I went with the invasion over the centroid is because I like the grip a little better on the invasion.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default BigBulls

Thank you so much for your input, it was direct and to the point, as to why you chose the Invasion... Thank You again.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Feel them for yourself, I went with a Destroyer. I like Mathews bows, but never really liked the grips or the grips you can buy for them.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Spike

whats the draw like on the invasion? i have a bowtech admiral and my dad has the first z7. my admiral has a much more aggresive draw, naturally. i was just wondering if the invasion might be a little smoother?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in the market for a new bow this year, and between the two, I'd favor the Invasion.

I was lucky enough to have friends/family with several different bow models, as well as the shop test drives. I also used to have a z7 (standard, not "Extreme"). I test drove over a dozen different bow models

Frankly, comparing a single cam with a binary isn't really apples to apples anyway, but that's a totally different issue. In my eyes, the level nock travel and self tuning component of a binary cam is a superior design, so even if everything else were equal (which the z7 is NOT equal to the Invasion), I'd prefer the binary Invasion.

Personally, I bought the Destroyer 350. Money wasn't an issue, and the Destroyer was only $100 cheaper than the Invasion anyway, but honestly, I felt like it was a smoother draw than the invasion, and a better balanced bow. The Destroyer and Invasion both have the Bowtech "Overdrive Binary Cam" system, but for some reason, the Destroyer feels harder, but smoother, than the Invasion. It's also a faster bow. I'm using blaze orange and black tiger bohning arrow wraps and blaze orange and black tiger blazers, and under 30yrds, I can't see my arrow in flight. I have a Trophy Ridge vertical 5pin set for 30, 45, 55, 65, and 75yrds... This thing is FAST (28" draw is giving 338fps average with 384grn Gold Tip Pro Hunter 7595's, 100grn Rage 2 blade practice tips).

I also love a hardcam bow...

In my hand, the z7 feels heavier (even though it's only actually 0.1lbs heavier), and it doesn't balance forward for me at all, actually leaned back slightly. I use a fairly low "target" style grip position, and I have always needed a LOT of stabilizer weight on my z7.

The Destroyer is a very smooth draw, the only down side is that it's a hard cam that allows ZERO creep, and if you're not looking for that, then it's not the bow for you (nor is the Invasion). Obviously, the z7's claim to fame is it's smooth draw, but honestly, I don't think the z7 Extreme is even as smooth as some of the other single cams out there (Bear Strike, Diamond Fugitive). The Destroyer and Invasion are plenty smooth, with the Destroyer the smoother of the two, but the Solocam z7 (A MUCH SOFTER CAM) is admittedly smoother.

The Bowtechs are more efficient bows, and my arrow flies like a laser from string to target.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I was in the market for a new bow this year, and between the two, I'd favor the Invasion.

I was lucky enough to have friends/family with several different bow models, as well as the shop test drives. I also used to have a z7 (standard, not "Extreme"). I test drove over a dozen different bow models

Frankly, comparing a single cam with a binary isn't really apples to apples anyway, but that's a totally different issue. In my eyes, the level nock travel and self tuning component of a binary cam is a superior design, so even if everything else were equal (which the z7 is NOT equal to the Invasion), I'd prefer the binary Invasion.

Personally, I bought the Destroyer 350. Money wasn't an issue, and the Destroyer was only $100 cheaper than the Invasion anyway, but honestly, I felt like it was a smoother draw than the invasion, and a better balanced bow. The Destroyer and Invasion both have the Bowtech "Overdrive Binary Cam" system, but for some reason, the Destroyer feels harder, but smoother, than the Invasion. It's also a faster bow. I'm using blaze orange and black tiger bohning arrow wraps and blaze orange and black tiger blazers, and under 30yrds, I can't see my arrow in flight. I have a Trophy Ridge vertical 5pin set for 30, 45, 55, 65, and 75yrds... This thing is FAST (28" draw is giving 338fps average with 384grn Gold Tip Pro Hunter 7595's, 100grn Rage 2 blade practice tips).

I also love a hardcam bow...

In my hand, the z7 feels heavier (even though it's only actually 0.1lbs heavier), and it doesn't balance forward for me at all, actually leaned back slightly. I use a fairly low "target" style grip position, and I have always needed a LOT of stabilizer weight on my z7.

The Destroyer is a very smooth draw, the only down side is that it's a hard cam that allows ZERO creep, and if you're not looking for that, then it's not the bow for you (nor is the Invasion). Obviously, the z7's claim to fame is it's smooth draw, but honestly, I don't think the z7 Extreme is even as smooth as some of the other single cams out there (Bear Strike, Diamond Fugitive). The Destroyer and Invasion are plenty smooth, with the Destroyer the smoother of the two, but the Solocam z7 (A MUCH SOFTER CAM) is admittedly smoother.

The Bowtechs are more efficient bows, and my arrow flies like a laser from string to target.
That is quite a convincing post!

Looks like I'll start saving up for a Destroyer now!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Spike

All I can say is go and shoot not just both bows but alot of bows and choose the one that fits you and you like the best, just make sure that when you shoot the bows, have the shop set them to your draw length and poundage you want to shoot. I just currently purchased an invasion and love it but I was in the same situation you are. I went to the archery shop with the invasion or z7 extreme in mind. The owner brought out both bows set up for me and he also brought out a mathews helim, hoyt carbon element and another hoyt bow along with the new insanity just for me to try. In my mind I wanted the z7 extreme going to the shop but after shooting all the bows I personally placed the z7 extreme on the bottom of my list. The hoyts where nice but the price tag along with some vibration is what turned me off. The Mathews helium was a very nice bow and pulled very easy, and after some changes with dampners and stabilizers this bow ended up almost completely dead in hand and became second on my list as a hunting bow. The insanity was number one for me all around but I do not like the short brace height so I crossed it off the list. I shot the invasion last and it did have a tuning fork vibration issue but after placing an octane stabilizer with a 1" weight to the front of the bow along with the small vibration dampner that the insanity has on its cable roller the bow shot exactly like the insanity just not as fast and the bow felt perfect to me in my hand. This is my preference but I can tell you that the perfect bow is the one that fits you and you like the best, do not get stuck on wanting a certain bow because you might be dissapointed down the line. And FYI I shot mathews for the past 12 years so it was very hard to pull me away but I am very happy with my decsion. And if you go with a mathews bow try the focus grip it is outstanding. Good Luck!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

When buying a bow and trying them out most forget to keep in mind hunting situations and being in a treestand. I shot several different bows out of my hunting stand on my food plot and ended up buying the Mathews Z9
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

A friend of mine was undecided againt the Bowtech Assasin or the Matthews Helium. He shot both and settled for the Helium. I believe the fact that he Robin Hooded an arrow during the test shooting may have had something to do with his decision. He told me that they ran it through the chronograph at the archery shop and using a 380 gr arrow, 28.5" draw, 67 lb weight, he got an average of 296 fps. That's fast.
My Martin Firecat @ 64#, 28" with a 422 gr arrow shoots 262 fps.