HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Constantly moving my sights.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/350548-constantly-moving-my-sights.html)

lonewolfhunter 09-28-2011 10:21 AM

Constantly moving my sights....

Over the past few seasons of shooting league, I've noticed that at the beginning of each season that I have to raise my sights quite a bit because I am shooting high. I shoot a Diamond Marquis with a d-loop. Could my knocking point on my string be moving from season to season?

UncleNorby 09-28-2011 11:43 AM

Dunno.

When you get your bow set up and shooting the way you like it, take some measurements of things like peep height, nock height, rest centershot, tiller, etc., and write them down. When things like you describe happen, you can check your setup to see if anything has changed.

pure havoc 09-28-2011 11:50 AM

highly unlikely that your loop is moving around , over time your body forgets about your form and thats why practicing consistantly helps you , as you shoot more you get back into your regular form and causes you to move stuff around . only way to fix this is practice more :D. I once had a target bow that I shot winter league with , I would leave it in my truck all day and then go shoot after work , until the bow warmed up to room temp it would shoot about 2.5" low and this would happen every time the bow sat in 50 deg or less .

Arkansasmountainman 09-29-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by pure havoc (Post 3853975)
highly unlikely that your loop is moving around , over time your body forgets about your form and thats why practicing consistantly helps you , as you shoot more you get back into your regular form and causes you to move stuff around . only way to fix this is practice more :D. I once had a target bow that I shot winter league with , I would leave it in my truck all day and then go shoot after work , until the bow warmed up to room temp it would shoot about 2.5" low and this would happen every time the bow sat in 50 deg or less .

that is a good little tip right there, i would have never thought of that..

warbirdlover 09-30-2011 07:05 PM

The new bows with the all fiberglass limbs are much more sensitive to temperature changes then the old laminated limbs. As far as something moving, when you get it shooting good (paper test) write down all your measurements after taking them with a good bow square such as nocking point height, loop top and bottom, upper and lower tiller measurements. It's easy to catch a problem then.

And use a peep sight in the string (and take the measurement on that also)...

olfatguy 10-03-2011 08:00 AM

Since you said "at the beginning of each season", I'm assuming this isn't a one time event. Do your sights go back to normal after a period of time, or do they keep going higher?

My guess would be that you have a form issue, especially, if you haven't been practicing in the off season. Minor changes in anchor, grip (too much or not enough heel pressure), bow arm position, and shoulder/back tension can cause this type of problem and will, usually, cure themselves as you get back into form and recondition your muscles.

irish sitka 10-11-2011 12:00 PM

Make sure your arrow is covering the berger hole and that the arrow is level or nock high a little if a single cam bow and that the "D" loop is where it should be.

Nomercy448 10-24-2011 07:31 AM

Whether we want to admit it or not, we're never in "shooting shape" for those first few pins of each season. The first couple draws of each season feel a LOT heavier and more shaky than the last few draws of a season.

It's REALLY common, when guys pull the bow out for the first time each year, that they'll heel the bow a lot more than they normally would. Heeling usually ends up with higher strikes. It takes a few pins to get used to the draw weight again each year, and your wrist isn't conditioned to supporting the draw, so you might be putting more hand on the grip than you normally would.

It's also common that you'll try to watch the first few arrows of the year in flight, which inevitably, you'll end up pushing the bow upward slightly (your focus is on the arrow, so your body instinctively pushes the bow towards the arrow, aka, upward).

Either of these might be the cause.

Other early season High strike causes might be low shaft elbow, or loosening your bow arm upon release (lets the bow tip freely).

halfbakedi420 10-24-2011 07:52 AM

unless yer hittin a contest, i wouldnt adjust nufin until ya ran at least a dozen a day for a week, then make adjustments and write them down as said previously. if its every year, its either string stretch or ya just aint warmed up yet.