HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   need broadhead tuning advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/349383-need-broadhead-tuning-advice.html)

wv bow hunter 09-07-2011 12:36 PM

need broadhead tuning advice

I shoot a parker wildfire xp 29in. draw 70 pound pull with a trophy taker drop away rest, easton powerflight 340's and it has been driving me crazy for 2 evenings trying to get my broadheads to hit with my fieldpoints......I'm shooting carbon express assult broadheads and am dead on out to 50 yards with fieldpoints but broadheads were hitting low and to left so i moved my rest up just a little which brought the up and down within an inch of the fieldpoints which im happy with, so then tried moving the rest just a little to the right and that put the broadheads on target but put the fieldpoints hitting to the right so i moved the rest back left to where it was so now my broadheads are back left and fieldpoints are on target....Also i should let you know that im right handed.....Thanx for any advice

pure havoc 09-07-2011 01:02 PM

sight it in for the broadheads and dont worry about where your fieldpoints are hitting .
moving your rest around isnt going to help with your situation . I always walk back tune a broadhead, otherwise you will find your hitting right on at 20 and then it keep slowly creeping one way or the other at further distances. your other option is to find a differnt broadhead and try that , not all broadheads tune the same as field points , Closest for me was the slick tricks as far as hitting where a field point hits and those do massive damage for a fixed blade .

mofire 09-08-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by pure havoc (Post 3844239)
sight it in for the broadheads and dont worry about where your fieldpoints are hitting .
moving your rest around isnt going to help with your situation .

Ah...That is not entirly true. If your bow and arrow selections are matched correctly you can tune your broadheads and field points to hit in the exact location. This is done by moving your arrow rest, adjusting arrow weight, adjusting bow weight, etc.. If you really want it right, you can get it there.

And Yes, you can just sight in for your broadheads. People do it all the time. But generally your sight pins are either way left or right of center. Which with some sights, not all, will appear to be to be warpped or crooked. But it's just an optical illusion.

Good luck.

Jmp51483 09-08-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mofire (Post 3844594)
Ah...That is not entirly true. If your bow and arrow selections are matched correctly you can tune your broadheads and field points to hit in the exact location. This is done by moving your arrow rest, adjusting arrow weight, adjusting bow weight, etc.. If you really want it right, you can get it there.

And Yes, you can just sight in for your broadheads. People do it all the time. But generally your sight pins are either way left or right of center. Which with some sights, not all, will appear to be to be warpped or crooked. But it's just an optical illusion.

Good luck.

Agreed! I always like to tune for both that way I know it's as right as possible, however I am quite meticulous or A.D.D whichever you prefer to call it. :sheep:

pure havoc 09-08-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mofire (Post 3844594)

Good luck.

your right and wrong , some broadheads will just not hit where my field points hit no matter what arrow combo , vanes, poundage, rest adjustment, nock adjustment, tiller tuning, cam timing , Some and thats the key word just wont tune exactly to a field point and not everyone has the money to go buy 6 different kinds of arrows and different broadheads to try this. I have shot over 20 different kinds of heads over the past couple yrs playing around and the best most accurate with my field points were the old bear chisel tip fixed with the bleeder blades removed . The worst tuning head for me was the G5 montecs I had 6 of these and 2 just would not tune at all and shot all over the place , didnt matter if I rotated the nocks, refletched, re arrowed . Thats just how it works sometimes . If he doesnt have the money to tinker around with different combos or tuning knowledge he is better off to walk back tune it to his current setup , I guess I should have stated it better than what I did
Good luck!!!

bronko22000 09-09-2011 03:17 PM

Sorry Havoc I disagree. If you cant get your BHs to hit with your FTs then your BHs out of alignment.

BGfisher 09-12-2011 04:47 AM

It could be that your arrows are underspined. Short of buying new arrows I'd try dropping the poundage of the bow to around 65# and see if that helps. It's quick and free. If arrow flight gets worse then the arrows are too stiff, but I doubt that is the case. There is no reason to shoot the bow at 70# if adjusting the weight down a few pounds will solve the problem.

Don't take too much stock in the fact that field points do well out to 50 yards. They don't have any blades steering the front of the arrow so they can be badly mismatched and still group well at any distance.

If you haven;t already done so then spin-check your arrows with the broadhead ferrules in. They must be straight with the shaft and no wobble.

bronko22000 09-12-2011 07:24 AM

WV - Think about what you are doing. You are moving your rest (hopefully in small increments). This will result in you BHs and FT getting closer together. But because you moved your rest, your sights will also be off some. Readjust your sights. They are the least of your worries until your bow is tuned to your FTs and BHs. Also, shoot more than one BH. The one you are using may be a tad out of alignment. Or put it on another arrow to see if it is hitting the same POI.