HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   tune question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/349329-tune-question.html)

00svtlightning 09-06-2011 11:31 AM

tune question

Greetings,
I've been beating my head against the wall trying to broadhead tune my bow. I figured I'd see if anyone had any suggestions. My setup is a Hoyt Alphmax 32, 28 in draw, 70 lb draw weight, shooting CX Mayhem Hunter 350's,a Shakey Hunter fall away rest, and 100 grn Muzzy MX4's.

I can get 1 to 2 inch groups at 20 yds with field points or the broadheads. The broadheads hit roughly the same elevation as the field points but about 10 inches to the left.

If I move the rest to adjust the broadheads to the right they'll adjust to the right, but it also moves my field point groups right too. Any thoughts about what might be going on?

Thanks for taking a look.

stapher1 09-06-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 00svtlightning (Post 3843623)
Greetings,
I've been beating my head against the wall trying to broadhead tune my bow. I figured I'd see if anyone had any suggestions. My setup is a Hoyt Alphmax 32, 28 in draw, 70 lb draw weight, shooting CX Mayhem Hunter 350's,a Shakey Hunter fall away rest, and 100 grn Muzzy MX4's.

I can get 1 to 2 inch groups at 20 yds with field points or the broadheads. The broadheads hit roughly the same elevation as the field points but about 10 inches to the left.

If I move the rest to adjust the broadheads to the right they'll adjust to the right, but it also moves my field point groups right too. Any thoughts about what might be going on?

Thanks for taking a look.

How are you tuning the broadheads? I have been playing with slick tricks and a had great success setting one blade with my ****vein and they fly dead on with my field points.

00svtlightning 09-07-2011 04:15 AM

There's one of the four blades lined up with the **** vane, and I can get really good groupings with the broadheads, I took out a set of blades yesterday hitting it on another broadhead. I just can't get them anywhere near my field points.

halfbakedi420 09-07-2011 05:45 AM

imo, ya shoould adjust yer bow to what you will be hunting with.
have ya shot the bh through paper yet?

scottycoyote 09-07-2011 06:34 AM

i was about to ask what redmist did, did you paper tune the bow? If its papertuned, and all your broadheads are grouping but left of fieldpoints, then id just move my sight for the broadheads until i got out of hunting season. Other option would be mechs. Broadheads experience some planing and it could be your bhs and your setup is just worse than most

00svtlightning 09-07-2011 09:34 AM

It was paper tuned, but we're going to double check it next week on my days off. I tried a buddy's G5 Montec's today, and they were a bit closer but still about 4 inches low from the field points. I think like you guys said I'll probably just wind up adjusting my sights for this season and try and tackle the issue next spring hopefully.

I haven't had much opportunity to shoot this summer. Pesky river flood displaced me from the house, and had me working 60 hr weeks. Didn't have much energy to do anything else.

Jmp51483 09-07-2011 09:42 AM

out of curiosity, have you shot a different broad head through your bow? I had this same issue with Muzzy broad heads, they simply wouldn't agree with my setup. I switched over to G5 and the problem disappeared with a little tuning.

just a thought.

halfbakedi420 09-07-2011 02:01 PM

imo mechanical isnt an option..
i have never had bh fly like field tips.
i dont even shoot field tips anymore, its all magnus snuffers fer me....you can resharpen and use them for over 5 years..just my experience..i never bought a 2nd pack of em, cause i dont need too...
when i shot mech..i had to buy new ones every year, if not twice a year, and fer $35 i get 6 of em, 3 ta practice and 3 to hunt-- basically how i do it.
if i was you, i'd get a paper tune fer sure and just shoot the bh's.
gl

00svtlightning 09-07-2011 07:44 PM

I have some G5 Strikers on the way to try. Nothing against the MX4, it grouped tight. I just couldn't get them to tune, and from what I've been reading it's a common problem.

aread 09-09-2011 11:30 AM

Spine doesn't matter as much as some people think with field points. However when you put steel fletching on the front end of an arrow, it starts to become important.

Your arrows are probably a little stiff for your setup. Unless you can increase your draw weight or stretch your arrows, just sight in for the broadheads and you'll be good.

This is part of the reason a lot of guys have two bows. One for hunting and one for competition or just general practice and messing about with bows.

Allen