HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   odd color vane down? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/348772-odd-color-vane-down.html)

TradMax 08-26-2011 05:10 PM

odd color vane down?

Just read the article on making arrows and not sure who posted it. Since it has been some years since I had last built arrows, am not too familiar with the new reduced size carbon shafts with the 2 inch vanes.
My normal build would have the different colored vane facing out away from the bow for correct arrow vane clearance at release. What is the protocol for these new arrows? Where is the odd colored vane correctly positioned when releasing the arrow?

jeremy3303 08-26-2011 07:22 PM

The indexing of the odd colored vanes is completely dependent on what type of rest you are using.

Most drop-aways and Whisker Biscuits will have best results with the odd vane going up.

2-prong style rests like TM Hunters, will require the odd vane to be positioned down.

Shooting off of a flipper type rest or on a traditional bow generally will have to odd vane going out away from the riser.

Jmp51483 08-27-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jeremy3303 (Post 3839168)
The indexing of the odd colored vanes is completely dependent on what type of rest you are using.

Most drop-aways and Whisker Biscuits will have best results with the odd vane going up.

2-prong style rests like TM Hunters, will require the odd vane to be positioned down.

Shooting off of a flipper type rest or on a traditional bow generally will have to odd vane going out away from the riser.

He hit the nail on the head here.

nodog 08-28-2011 03:57 AM

If an arrow doesn't fly true I spin the arrow so the vane positions change, never seems to help much but does tell me the arrows wacked.

Some sell arrows that are tested and I think they do come with the directions your asking for, all others are up to your needs like already said.

wis_bow_huntr 09-02-2011 05:18 AM

Yup nailed on the head, couldnt have said it better myself!!

MISwampDog 09-20-2011 06:41 AM

Hit the nail on the head with that one.

aread 09-21-2011 03:36 AM

Most arrows available today don't have a glue on nock. You can easily twist the nock so that the index vane points where it will give you good clearance.

There are some arrows available with the swaged nock end that requires glue on nocks. Just go by jeremy3303's guidelines for these.

Allen

ryndisher 10-06-2011 03:04 PM

Bullseye!!