HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Couple of Technical ???s and Help with buying a used bow.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/348732-couple-technical-s-help-buying-used-bow.html)

ChicagoSemnole 08-25-2011 03:30 PM

Couple of Technical ???s and Help with buying a used bow....

Hi Everybody,

I am getting back into bow hunting (Specifically Whitetail) after a several year hiatus.

First off, its amazing how much technology has changed just in 10 years

Secondly, I am looking at a Lightly Used 2009 PSE BowMadness, pre equipped with a NAP Drop Rest, 5 Pin Spot Hog sight, and new strings.

It would cost around $350.

The bow is a Single Cam 60# Max Weight.

Anyone have any opinions on this particular model or PSE in general?

I owned a PSE in the past and I know they are great bows.

A few questions...

Approximately how much FPS do you lose shooting a 60# bow vs a 70# bow with standard carbon arrows (8-11 grains per inch) and a 125grain broadhead?

I am finishing up rehab on my shoulder (Chronic Bursitis) from a golf injury, so I am thinking I should shoot a 50#thru 60# bow this year, and then move on in a few years to a 70#, I may need to start out slightly below 60# this season also.

Previously, I used to primarily hogs from stands and stalking in Central Florida, and I am comfortable with shooting up to 40yards with accuracy on the ground or from a stand.

Any thoughts or helpful information???

Thanks.

wis_bow_huntr 09-02-2011 05:25 AM

I've been shooting PSE bows since I started shooting, I wont buy anything but PSE. The Bow Madness is a great bow dont get me wrong but PSE has new bows at the same price youd be paying for a used one, such as the new Stinger HD. I bought a new Stinger NI last year and absolutely love it. Sure its not their top of the line bow but its one hell of a nice shooting bow, accutate, fast and quiet. If youre shooting 60#s and are looking at carbons I recomend 400's with a 100gr head.

huntingkidPA 09-02-2011 06:36 AM

that sounds like a good deal. i have heard the madness is a great bow. i would buy it

sdhunter11 09-22-2011 04:34 AM

PSE has come a long way in recent years and i would not be afraid to shoot one except for the fact that i cant walk away from my mathews lol. Anyway, if you like the bow and shoot it at 50-60 lbs and it works good then why move on to 70lb. I shoot 63 lbs and have the ability to pull 70lbs but i like my setup so much at 63 that i have no desire to go higher.

deadfallarchery 09-28-2011 07:01 AM

That PSE is a steal at 350, Just the spot hogg alone on a relatively new bow could bring 400...

Arkansasmountainman 09-30-2011 12:38 PM

your not going to loose a whole lot of speed, shooting 60 vs 70, 60# is plenty