Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
cutting carbon arrows >

cutting carbon arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cutting carbon arrows

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cutting Arrows

Originally Posted by The Rev
You're very lucky you haven't had an arrow explode in your hand. NEVER cut an arrow with a pipe cutter! Ever!

A tube cutter on aluminium arrows works just fine. I have done it many times. No good for carbon!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I've always used a carpenters 10" chop saw with a masonry or steel blade. Never had a problem.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just saw a really neat cut off saw set up. I went to an archery shop not new to me and bought some new shafts and had them cut them for me.
They took a regular cut off saw and inverted it on the wall and put the cut off blade and motor in a small plastic trash can with a shop vac hose attached. They doubled up the filter with oversized coffee filters to cut down the exhaust dust and it does not allow the dust out in the shop or cutters face. Pretty neat idea!!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 07-22-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want this-
http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-t...saw-42307.html
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ijimmy
harbor freight has cut off saws cheep , around 20 bucks with a blade
I bought one today at harbor freights.(a 2" mini saw) just want to make sure it's the correct one... it says it will cut non ferrious metal.
are the carbon shaft (ei... carbon express, Gold points) non ferrious?

thank you
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a cut off wheel with an arbor and chuck it up in my wood lathe. Turn the lathe up to full speed and feed the arrow through it via a home made jig.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Spike

I just spent the money for the arrow saw because I build dozens and dozens of arrows, even if its a one use tool I use it a lot.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I made a arrow saw several years ago . Bought a cutoff saw from HF and replaced the blade with an abrasive blade . The saw cost me $25 and I had the lumber hanging around plus a broken tape measure .
Attached Thumbnails cutting carbon arrows-imgp1559.jpg   cutting carbon arrows-imgp1561.jpg   cutting carbon arrows-imgp1573.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Spike

You have to use a saw with an abrasive saw blade. Never use a pipe cutter even on the aluminum arrows. If you a pipe cutter on aluminum you risk a chance at chamfering the end of the arrows then you will have issues trying to install your inserts. Carbon arrows is a bad idea to use a pipe cutter.....period! You have to make sure you use the correct saw. An arrow saw makes the job easier because there is a jig made to correctly measure your arrow and cut it at the correct length. A chop saw is to big to use accurately, your length will be inconsistent. After you cut your arrows it is a good idea to have an arrow squaring tool. Your arrows need to be square or they will not fly straight.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep a few things in mind when cutting your own arrows:

You have to be quick with your cuts. Letting the end of the arrows get too hot can cause degradation of the resin, weakening the tip of the shaft, which can cause catastrophic failure.

Use low temp ferrul-tite on carbon arrows. That will let you remove the ferrules in the future should you ever need to do so (slide a drill bit into the nock end of the arrow, replace the nock, hold the shaft by the nock, gently warm the tip of the arrow over a stove burner, not flame, gets too hot, point the arrow upward, and swing it sharply downward a few times). Heat your ferrules, apply the ferrul-tite, and twist slowly as you insert it into the shaft. Overtwisting can make the ferrule adhesive slip.

Bend a piece of wire sharply (coat hanger works great) and snip it with side-cutters to produce an L-shaped scoring tool. Score the inside of the shaft slightly by pressing the sharp point of the L wire on the interior while rotating the shaft for the length of the ferrule to allow the ferrule adhesive to better grip the inside of the shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.