Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Tuning help please >

Tuning help please

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning help please

Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tuning help please

I shoot a Reflex SuperSlam with a QAD Ultra-Rest Pro Series. I have not shot it a lot in a few years, and my recollection was that it shot fine back then. Now, however, I observe the arrows swerving a decent amount in flight. The only thing I changed was taking the draw weight down. I just put it back up (maybe 3-5 lbs, 1 screw rotation) to see if it may be a spine issue and while it may have helped some, not much.

I just shot it through paper from 10 ft -- I can post a pic later if it helps -- the fletching is going through about 1 to 1.5 inches higher than the tip at that distance; obviously I have a problem.

I do not have a bow square or tool to move the nocking point. Eyeballing it with a carpenter's square, all I can detect is that if I put the square on the top of the shaft by the nock (while holding the rest all the way up) the shaft is 1/8" or a little less low a foot down the shaft where the square ends.

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. I'd like to know where to start as I have a big hunt coming up out west in a few weeks and if I need to take this in to a shop it will be a drive, and I'll only get one chance to get it fixed.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

been sittin awhile can break stuff lol...i had a house, noone lived there but thing broke all the time, now i have tennants and nothing breaks...knock on wood...
could be sting stretch moved your nok?
i would judt take it to the shop, make sure draw length is still the same..if its longer, new string time.
since ya cant lower the nok ,maybe raising the rest would help get em back in line
Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. Hadn't thought of string stretch. I didn't want to mess with the rest or anything until I solicited "expert opinion". I've been hunting archery 20 years but this is the first time I've ever had to deal with bad arrow flight. Simple geometry and physics seems to indicate moving the nock point down or rest point up given the paper results but I wanted to check with those who have been there and done that.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

never had the problem myself....i aquired a bow with broken limbs, when the new limbs went on it was shootin bullet holes at 250fps er so..maybe 230, cant member.
i understand strings will stretch, i am sure there is a line in the sand about how far is ok, and what is not ok....sounds like it is significant if it is an inch er more at 10 feet.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I moved the arm to the end of its adjustment range. The paper looks a lot better, .5-.75" nock above tip now. The website says the arm they recommend for this bow is 1/8" higher in the valley of the arm, of course I was not given this when I bought the bow. I'll have to order it to fix the problem.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Well, I moved the arm to the end of its adjustment range. The paper looks a lot better, .5-.75" nock above tip now. The website says the arm they recommend for this bow is 1/8" higher in the valley of the arm, of course I was not given this when I bought the bow. I'll have to order it to fix the problem.
maybe a new string @ $100 er so. take the rest back down....sometimes just fixin the problem is cheaper/easier to do than jigga riggin to get around it.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Spike

It's a lot more likely that your knock point just got messed up over the years. String is probably fine. With a knock high tear you need to lower your knock point or raise your rest, either should take the tear out. Just remember that a little movement in the knock point or rest translates to a lot of movement downrange. A 1in tear is bad but not terrible, you maybe only need to go a 1/16 of an inch, possibly less.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I would bet that you are creeping a bit. Make certain that you are pulling hard into the shot, that is the only way that rest will work correctly. You do not need the optional launcher arm. The cord on your rest may need to be tightened slightly too, that will show up with a nock high tear too.