HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   lighted knocks? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/347692-lighted-knocks.html)

Johnydeer 08-04-2011 12:30 PM

lighted knocks?

i just put three lighted knocks on 3 arrows and my yardage droped by 5 yards and they were hitting to the right? my other knocks were hitting perfect. does a lighted knock weigh that much to drop my shooting by 5 yards? what can i do to fix this problem? thanks

halfbakedi420 08-04-2011 01:22 PM

adjust the sights to go with what you will be hunting with...if you are using field tips, you will change to bh before hunting i hope, so you will need to adjust the sights to the bh with the lighted nocks before you go out..put the lighted nocks away, practice with regular nocks and filed tips, a week before season change over and get sighted in with the lighted nocks and bh.

IL-Cornfed 08-08-2011 09:44 AM

WOW.... and the advice is "just move your sights" ?!? Are you serious ?!? LOL!

NO, when you add 30 grains to the nock end of your arrow you obviously need to check the tune and then RE-TUNE your rig! Then you begin the sight in process!!! No different than shooting different b-heads..... you do NOT just simply move your sights until you assure that your arrows are flying perfectly straight!

bronko22000 08-11-2011 01:13 PM

Thank you cornfed. You saved me a lot of typing. I had my bow shooting both FT and BHs perfectly and decided to go get a 3 pack of lighted nocks for hunting last year. Put them in, shot at about 10 yds to make sure they worked. Then went out and shot at 20 and 30 yds and I could not believe the difference in POI and the way the group enlarged.
Needless to say, the nocks came off and now for visibility I use crested arrows with either white or floruscent green fletching. Impact is just as easily seen.

halfbakedi420 08-11-2011 03:33 PM

wow..i didnt realize how much they weigh. good to know, cause i am picking some up in a few weeks. guess i better get 2 sets, one fer practice and other fer real deal. thx fer the heads up.
how much do they weigh by the way?

The Rev 08-11-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed (Post 3832027)
WOW.... and the advice is "just move your sights" ?!? Are you serious ?!? LOL!

NO, when you add 30 grains to the nock end of your arrow you obviously need to check the tune and then RE-TUNE your rig! Then you begin the sight in process!!! No different than shooting different b-heads..... you do NOT just simply move your sights until you assure that your arrows are flying perfectly straight!

I agree 100%... Most guys shooting bows don't have a clue what tuning a bow involves, or how important it is. And you'll be surprised how many pro shops are staffed with those that think they know!!

SecondChance 09-25-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3833618)
wow..i didnt realize how much they weigh. good to know, cause i am picking some up in a few weeks. guess i better get 2 sets, one fer practice and other fer real deal. thx fer the heads up.
how much do they weigh by the way?

Depends on what brand you buy. I just weighed my lighted nocks and the NocTurnals weighed 21 grns.
The Luma-Nocks weighed 27-30grns.

The scale I use a RCBS electronic reloading scale for all my rifle and pistol reloading.

Tut23 09-26-2011 10:26 AM

Im suprised that lighted nock makes that big of a difference... my arrow with a lighted nock shoots the same as mine with out and are always grouped together the same

passthru79 09-26-2011 02:31 PM

One thing to note about some of the lighted nocks out there. They are designed to actually move when you shoot so the nock contacts the arrow shaft or a small plunger switch pushes in. That would no doubt effect your tune. I shot nocturnal lighted nocks last year and before I even went to the range I shot it through paper and my arrows would tear way different from arrows with normal nocks. Doesnt matter what you change on your equipment you should always shoot to verify before hunting. Not just because you may miss that buck of a lifetime but you also owe it to the criters your hunting. Just my 2 cents.